Author Topic: Kennedy's Armorial, Dublin  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Allesandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kennedy's Armorial, Dublin
« on: Sunday 19 February 12 12:48 GMT (UK) »
SWEETLOVE Coat of Arms listed in Kennedy’s Armorial,  Dublin.

Hope there is someone out there who can give me some advice on how to proceed with a search to indentify the individual ‘SWEETLOVE’   -    who/whether he was one of the Irish Sweetlove’s or where he came from/when and what he did to become knighted and,  listed in Kennedy’s Armorial,  Dublin.
Is it possible to discover when and how he was awarded his knighthood but, also so that I can research just where his Sweetlove origins/ descendancy are and, obviously if there are any connections to our large English tree.
Would the Chief Herald’s Office in Dublin answer this kind of enquiry ? 

I was sent a copy of the page with the original drawings of the Arms by a cousin (now deceased)  twelve years ago whilst researching my Sweetlove tree.
Being so interested years ago I had a copy of the Description and the Armorial Shield painted for me by a Heraldic Artist……
I do know I cannot claim it to be mine !

Thanks for reading this !
Sandra
SWEETLOVE, TAME, CREW, MENOTE, BRADFIELD, PENNELL.
TONGEMAN, LOUGER, LOEBER, FAIRBRASS, CHAMBERS, COPPEN, WATERS, COLTHUP.

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy's Armorial, Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Depending on the date, you may be able to find him in one of the many Knightage or Peerage/Baronage/Knightage books that are available on-line.  For example, a quick search on Google books came up with quite a listing, including an 1841 edition of Burke's The Knightage of Great Britain and Ireland.  (I looked; Sweetlove isn't in there.  Sorry!)  But such volumes usually contain a fair bit of information on the individuals included, including genealogical descent in many cases, and so you might try some of these volumes to find this Sweetlove.

To answer your other question, though, yes, certainly, the Office of the Chief Herald in Dublin should be able to give you some kind of an answer if you wrote to them directly.  (I've had the opportunity to meet several of the people who work there, and they are all very nice folks who will try to be as helpful as they can to inquiries.)

David

Offline Allesandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy's Armorial, Dublin
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello David
Many thanks for your kind and helpful response regarding the Chief Herald's Office and Burkes.
I did some more searching on Google last night and, also discovered that a Genealogical/Heraldic Research Company (Achievements) in Canterbury, Kent, had produced a facsimile reprint in 1967 of Patrick Kennedy's Book of Arms from 1816.....  I had found a copy of this book listed as being for sale on an English book dealer's website.   I immediately wrote to the dealer and they replied this morning to say it had been sold last autumn and that the old ad should have been removed.   I knew it was too good to be true !
Anyway,  I then decided to contact Achievements directly (from their website discovered they do professional research including tv programme work) enquiring whether this book is still available or if they would be prepared to do a 'search' to answer my questions also stating I was an experienced researcher myself, back nine generations on my own Sweetlove line............  so now I am waiting for another reply.
If they cannot help me I will definitely contact the Chief Herald's Office in Dublin as my next step.   
Your help was much appreciated.
regards,
Sandra
in South Cheshire (not far from the beautiful medieval city of Chester)
SWEETLOVE, TAME, CREW, MENOTE, BRADFIELD, PENNELL.
TONGEMAN, LOUGER, LOEBER, FAIRBRASS, CHAMBERS, COPPEN, WATERS, COLTHUP.