Author Topic: Sailsbury Family  (Read 8148 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sailsbury Family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 February 12 07:41 GMT (UK) »
The 1891 census has Samuel Salisbury widower born Cranfield, with daughters Bessie age 20 born Maine USA & Edith aged 14 born Bedford, living at 19 Bedesmans Place Bedford St Mary.

In 1881 living in Newnham Street Bedford is Samuel Salisbury age 31 born Cranfield & wife Emma age 31 born Thurmaston, Maine plus children including Bessie age 8 born USA & Edith age 2.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Bluebellbutterfly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have further info on Samuel Salisbury, born Canfield in 1850. He was a sign writer and married emma dockham in America, Bessie was born over there, he then went on to have 5 children with Emma as detailed below. After Emma died around 1886 he remarried in around 1899 and had 5 possibly 6 children the last born in 1917, the family moved to Rugby during this time (I have details of this part of the family  but i wasent sure if you are interested in this or just his first family.)
Samuel died around 29th November 1945 and is beried in a cemitaet in rugby with his second wife and son.

Let me know if you are looking for further info and which part of the family in particular. It's a bit hard to track 11 children.
I know only a little more about his ancestry.

Best wishes
Nikki

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi nikki. Thank you for writing back to me. I would love to know these details if you could provide them for me please? Thank you for writing to me even after all this time! Are you researching the tree then? Is he part of your ancestor? If not thank you do much for looking into this information for me! How did you find where he is burried?
Kindest regards
Andrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 23:53 BST (UK) »
Samuel is part of my family, that's how I know so much. I am not related to Emma though. I have only just started continuing the research my ancesters did which includes a family tree, I have also been trying to find out more on samuel's side so did a bit of googling and your question came up on th Internet. I wasen't aware of the criminal recourds though.

If you don't mind me asking how are you related to Samuel?

I know his grave as I visited as a young child, and then again last week as I started my research.

Best regards
Nikki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 09:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry for not replying last night, I wanted to check details on the tree before replying, and I did look at your posts to find out why you were looking.
I am samuel's great granddaughter, my grandmother is Samuels youngest daughter born in 1917, however as she is still alive Unfortunately she has dementure so I am not able to find anything further from her about her father. I won't disclose any further information about her.

Samuel as you already know was born in Canfield, Bedfordshire, he went to America (I have found no recourds of his out bound or incoming journey.) but have been told he was about 18. He married Emma dockham over there and I think you have marriage details etc already.  
They had Bessie over in America born in 1873, before there next daughter was born they came to the UK, (recently my grandmother told me Emma died on the boat, this I found was not true, this was during the on set of dementure and when I decided to stop asking any more family questions as they may not be accurate.)
Emma and Samuel had 5 more children and continued to live in Bedfordshire where Samuel was a sign writer, he also painted as my grandmother had one of his paintings. I have a copy of his address somewear on his buisness card at this stage he I think he lived in fenlake in Bedford, I can't find exact details at the moment.
Alice born 04/06/1875 - have no further info on.
Harry james born 10/03/1877 - no descendants I am await of.
Edith may born 02/05/1879 - has descendants I believe
Edwards william born in 17/08/1881 - has descendants
Eva Mary born 20/09/1883 died 12/12/1981 - has descendants

Bessie I believe went to northampton and became a domestic servant but I am not sure without checking that bit out again.

After Emma died as you know and in 1899 Samuel married Augusta Sarah Passey. They had the following children (just given you brief details as I have lots more on this side of the family but I unstandardised you are more interested in Emma's family.)

Lillian born 1899 not sure if this was samuel's daughter but am presuming it was as they were married the same year.

Conrad Cecil Anniston born 1900 died 1988
Augusta louise may born 1902 died 1955
Eileen cecilia born 1908 had 10 children
Samuel Richard born 1912 died 1933
My grandmother born 1917

(Augusta already had a son Alfred who was brought up as her brother)

Samuel and Augusta lived with my grandmother until, there death, Augusta died 14/11/1945 and Samuel a few days later on 29/11/1945. They are buried in Clifton road cemetery in rugby with there son Sam who died in a motorbike accident in 1933.

I believe Samuel was of good caricature from what my grandmother said.

Going back into Samuels ancestry I know his mother was Hannah Elizabeth arms or arns, this appears differently depending where you look.

His father James - I have not traced much more on his father that I can be certain of but I think his parents might have been William and susanna but the name is Solsbury so I need to investigate more.
The following I have researched and believe to be correct but have not confirmed dates or looked into certificates yet so they might not be fully accurate.

Hannah's parents I believe are James arms and Rebecca wildman.

James arms parents are Henry arms and Sarah (don't know surname)

Henry's parents are Thomas arms and Rebecca cambers.

Rebecca wildman's parents are John wildman and Catherine marrison.

That's all I have I will let you know if I find out more and if I confirm any of the uncertain bits. Please let me know if you have any more info I would like to trace the tree further if I can.

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 August 12 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information, I hope that you got all 3 of my inbox messages! :)

Kind Regards
Andrew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 August 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
Andrew,

I have read briefly the messages this is amazing, I will send you a personal message and some more tree info (will take off the irelivent info from some of my side of that's of for security reasons I guess), but I have some extra info on some of Bessie's brothers and sisters and you have lots more on Bessie than I have.

Sign writer I believe is a person who paints shop signs like 'sainsburys' and 'boots' but when they were painted by hand. Going to do a bit more investigation over the next week.

Best regards
Nikki