Author Topic: Graham/Shackleton  (Read 12476 times)

Offline Maxk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Graham/Shackleton
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 01 March 12 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry
You are absolutely right Nanny Jan.
Job was 1844 -1886 according to the Shackleton family tree.
Maxk

Offline 10cc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I realise that this is slightly off topic but I was hoping that you may be able to help.

My great grandmother was called Eveline Beatrice Graham (formerly Shackleton) and your thread therefore attracted my notice, and I wondered if it could be the same person you were discussing.

My grandfather (Landon Ronald Graham) was born in Stockton, County Durham on 12th April 1913 and his birth certificate shows his parents as James William Graham and Eveline Beatrice Graham (formerly Shackleton). As far as I know, my grandfather was abandoned (left with neighbours) shortly after he was born and his parents emigrated to Australia. Whilst his father's forenames don't appear to match, other details you've mentioned do (they came from the same area of the country, they travelled to Australia in 1913, etc.).

Could this be the same person?

Thank you

Offline Maxk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 09:21 GMT (UK) »
My Father was Gordon Malcolm Graham b 13 Aug 1908 in Sunderland.  His Mother was Eveline Beatrice Shackleton who was born 1877/78 to Job H Shackleton and Mary Anne Hope.  His father was Robert John Graham who was a modle maker in Austin Shipyards in Sunderland.

Eveline had at least four siblings Mary Elizabeth b 1875
George Henry born 1876 William francis b 1878 and Albert Edward b 1880.  There may have been an Ester but the details are hazy.

Eveline had Norman Hope Graham b 1903 Sunderland
Gordon Malcolm Graham b1906 Sunderland
Allan Shackleton Graham b 1809 Sunderland
William West Australia
Evaline West Australia

They did move to Perth in 1913.

I have no record of another child but will look through my papers and see what I can find.

Would be interested in any other info you might have.
Max

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max

I have been watching this post with interest, did you manage to get the BC for Evelyn B Shackleton

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Maxk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 November 12 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marg
Sure did and lots of other good info.  Just have to find the time to try and pull it together.  Probably after Xmas.

The cert says that the parents were Eveline Beatrice and Robert Graham, which makes her eldest
son's notes and the DC seem curiouser and curiouser.

Will keep you posted
Max

Offline Etty81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 26 October 13 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hello! This is my very first post! 10cc, if you are still out there looking at this thread. I have something quite startling to tell you as I am researching Landon Ronald Graham too. The neighbours his parents left him with were my family. Do get in touch!

Offline calpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 26 October 13 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Etty 81
Good first post!

Max has stopped doing work on the Graham Tree for the time being, but I haven't.  I am writing the life story of the family and have done as much as I could on the Shackletons/Grahams/Hopes etc from Sunderland.  However I am VERY interested in any info you may have, as the death certificate thing is still hovering there unanswered.
Please contact me, we may be able to help one another.
Regards
Pat

Offline Etty81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 26 October 13 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hello!
 I'd be very pleased to help in any way I can. My great uncle Ted, great aunt Jean and grandma are in their 80's and 70's and have never known exactly where he came from, why he is left or why they chose my family? It's been a bit of a family mystery which I'm trying to solve for them. What I know from my relatives is this:
Landon R Graham, son of Eveline Shackleton was left on the doorstep of my family when he was a baby. He was left with Arthur and Sarah Etheridge (my great great grandparents) and Margaret Etheridge (my great grandmother), who was about 12 years old at the time.

I think when Margaret married my great grandfather Frederick Thomas, he lived with them and Margaret would refer to him as her brother (which I imagine is unlikely!). The family moved to Hull for 5 years as there was work available there for Fred as a train driver (my great uncle ted and great aunt Jean are his children). They returned to Thornaby but Landon (or Ronnie as he was known to them) remained in Hull and married a Maude Manning in 1937. The marriage ended in divorce (don't know why) but he remarried in 1943 and his new wife was Nora Grinstead. He was working as a taxi driver at the time and living in Leeds.

The family say he had an affair with another woman for a time but he returned to Nora, who took him back. My grandma thinks he may have had three daughters but I don't know their names yet or who their children may be. He was injured in a sporting match which resulted in his leg becoming gangrenous and part of his calf muscle had to be removed.

I don't have a death certificate for him I'm afraid but I have found a death record on ancestry which matches the information I have and places his death in Leeds, June 1976.

The family had always said that his parents left him and then went to live in Australia. I've found records which confirm that they did emigrate to Perth but I wasn't sure why until I did a bit more research and found that Eveline was not married to his father James William Graham but married to Robert Graham. I suspect from a census record I found that James and Robert may well have been brothers. Perhaps you know if this is true? It certainly seems like a strange coincidence. I've therefore concluded that Eveline may well have had an affair with Robert's brother resulting in Landon's abandonment.

Thank you so much for posting back. I hope that even a small amount of this has been of some use. Looking forward to hearing from yourself or any others out there who might be able to help.

Etty ;D

Offline calpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 27 October 13 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  This will require some research.

What we have is shown below in the attached gedcom.

Please have a look at the file and see if there is any connection.  We know there were number of 'Grahams' around the north of England and Scotland many with similar names.

Very interested in what you find.

As an aside, Eveline Beatrice Graham nee Shackleton was a very religious person and she and her sister in law Martha Graham were referred to by a wide Xsection of the community as 'the heavenly twins.'  This doesn't seem in character, but who knows!

Regards Pat

"During the past month there passed from the congregation the second of two choice Christian characters.
Affectionately known to the Como congregation as the “Heavenly Twins”, Miss Graham and her sister-in-law, Mrs Graham, had worshiped regularly for a long period of over twenty years in the Como Church formerly in Eric Street and in later years in McDonald Street.  They were possibly unaware of the title by which they were referred to, but nothing could describe them better.
Small in stature and charming in personality, these two elderly ladies had become accepted as members of every congregation and participants in every spiritual and social activity of the church.  They were shining examples to the young, the middle aged and those whose horizons of time were shortening.  Diligent in attendance, unstinting in steward-ship of their time and material possessions, Mrs and Miss Graham will long be remembered by those connected with the Como Church.
Mrs Graham was called to her rest earlier in the year, and after a short time, during which ill health took its toll, Miss Graham went to join her loved one."
The Methodist Messenger Circular August 1960