Author Topic: Joseph CAUDWELL, Victoria 1852?  (Read 8248 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph CAUDWELL, Victoria 1852?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 00:50 BST (UK) »
Theodore CAUDWELL was living with his wife's family in 1861 at Back Lane Warsop. 

Hannah Dunston, 71, widow, Head of household, occ: farm of 46 acres, born Warsop
Theodore Candwell, 35, married,   Son-in-law, occ: miller, born Somercotes, Alpeton, Derbyshire,
Carroline Maxfield, 12, Servant

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 06:13 BST (UK) »
In 1881, Mary CAUDWELL is at the same address, Back Lane Worsop and she is now a farmer.  Perhaps she inherited her mother’s property.

She states herself a widow and her 2 children, James and Eliza are with her.  James as a farmer’s son as Eliza as nothing ;)
There is a boarder and a male  farm servant.

By 1891 Eliza CAUDWELL, now 33, is in Nottinghamshire at Pleasley Hill Mansfield on Pleasley Farm and single.  Samuel Jessop, a single man, is the farmer and head of household and there are 3 servants.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 06:30 BST (UK) »
In 1891 James CAUDWELL, the son of Theodore and Mary is a married man aged 34.  His wife is Mary A and she is 42.  They have 2 children Caroline 6 yrs and Elizabeth 4 yrs. He is a farm labourer at Ling Farm in Blidworth Nottinghamshire.

Sue

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 07:34 BST (UK) »
I'm not seeing Mary and the two children, who would have been aged about 2 and 4 in 1861 though.  They're not mentioned in 1861 as living with her mother Hannah DUNSTON and the husband Theo

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 08:02 BST (UK) »
In 1861 the children and Mary seem to be visiting  John and Eliza BOWITT ( ?)who live in Askham, Nottinghamshire.
John has a large farm.

Someone on Ancestry has made a correction to the entry to CANDWELL, but the names are CAUDWELL.

James aged 2 years  has a middle name Dunston. Eliza is 4 years.

Household schedule number 68
Piece   2417
Folio   118
Page number 11

Sue

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 08:44 BST (UK) »
Good find, Sue.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 August 23 03:39 BST (UK) »
This obituary was placed in the Horsham newspaper upon the death of Theodore in 1911.

There is no indication that he ever lived in Cheltenham or Eltham.

Records show he was mostly in Western Victoria

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/73162389?searchTerm=%22caudwell%22

Perhaps when Ada sees her notifications she will respond with further information, but in the meantime, I  do not see a connection between the two CAUDWELL families, subjects o this thread.

Sue

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 August 23 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I saw the census of 61 with Theo living at the same address with her mother in law, but noticed his wife wasn't there, thank you for the info showing where Mary and the children were. I wonder if they had actually separated or if she was just visiting friends.

JUDB....
Just off topic for a moment, Judb, are your Dwyer family the same Dwyers that were from Tipperary?    I think they were descendants of Matthew Dwyer and Fanny Conlon... they would have married c1815.  Their children came to Australia (Victoria) as adults, including Bridget who married Glasheen/Gleeson in Tipperary.  They mainly arrived 1841-1851.... a few different ships.

ok.. back on topic....
So Theo Caudwell is in Australia and marries in 1866.... but I found a newspaper article about A Theodore Caudwell going/declared Bankrupt in April 1862 in England.  Not sure if its the same Theodore Caudwell though..

Cheers :)

IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 24 August 23 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Ada,
I see in the clip you have posted the name is T. Caudwell,  This person is in the  the same location  and seemingly has same occupation as Theodore Caudwell of your interest.

I don't see the name Theodore, though I agree it seems possible this is your chap.

Perhaps the banksruptcy was the reason for him to leave England.

Sue