Author Topic: Joseph CAUDWELL, Victoria 1852?  (Read 8249 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph CAUDWELL, Victoria 1852?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 August 23 01:30 BST (UK) »
Ah, So this is more definite.  This first news item gives his first name, Theodore in Bankruptcy, so we can be sure it is him.  April 1862.

The next clip I see is dated Jan. 1863.  It is a petitiion for adjudication in Bankruptcy filed against Theodore.  I do not know what that is. However, it does suggest he left the country before his financial situation was fully resolved.

As mentioned by Debra, he arrived in Victoria in July 1862

ADDING. I can only see this grab of the items. Others may be able to see it in full
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 25 August 23 01:47 BST (UK) »
This clip also may prove interesting in a fuller reading.
Mrs Mary CAUDWELL in 1880.
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 25 August 23 03:07 BST (UK) »
Re the bankruptcy - Theo did describe him occupation as 'miller' in 1861 census.

Re the Dwyer family - mine were from Tipperary but were Michael DWYER 1802-1884 m Ellen McCarthy (1804 - 1905) , married in Greenane 1835, arrived Victoria 1841

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue and Judith

Thanks for the obit :) link.  Appreciated.

Sue... yes its hard, some records only have an initial... could be anyone really... I try to collect as much as I can to see if there is anything that finally matches up  ;D

I wasn't going to post it but saw Theo mentioned in other sources, just hadn't downloaded them yet. ... thanks for posting the better links too

I am going to look further into her family I think...
Trying not to jump to conclusions, but I did think it was a little unusual that Theo was not living with his wife when the census was done... although it can literally mean he wasn't there for one night... so I shouldn't read too much into it... but because we know Theo came to Australia, I wondered if he had separated from his wife already.  I guess the bankruptcy just adds more questions.... did they separate because of the bankruptcy?
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 14:03 BST (UK) »
yes, definitely Caudwell.....

With the name CANDWELL... I know I have seen that on Ancestry too.  I think a lot of people write Caudwell as Caldwell or even Cordwell, so seeing the U may have confused them and its transcribed incorrectly.   I have also noticed it on TROVE that sometimes the automatic transcriptions can make CAUDWELL look like Candwell... I zoomed in to double check and the u in the old typeface can look almost joined, so I guess its reading it wrong.    I think that's where the errors can start and then they get copied by mistake
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Military History

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 14:04 BST (UK) »
ah sorry again... NOT Cheltenham, the reference I was thinking of was Eltham... but that wasn't for Theo anyway, it was for Joseph Caudwell.   

for anyone that wants a read... he is mentioned in the early records for the Roads Board.

https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/5e4a290521ea671e9ccf9661  I know that doesn't help us with Theo, but its there for Joseph...

IRELAND....

ENGLAND

Convicts to Australia
Military History

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 14:07 BST (UK) »
JUDY... your Dwyers...
there are Dwyers from mainly from Shronell Tipperary, some from Bansha Tipperary (who married Glasheens). They moved to Victoria in the 1840s... I know there were a few in 1841 on the Gilmore, think they were two of the adult brothers.... then the other siblings (all adults) came out during the 1840s.  I know Bridget was married to Glasheen by then and arrived here with husband and children around 1850.

The Dwyers aren't connected to my family that I know of... yet... but a friends family. They are very passionate about family history too, I am sure they would love to chat to see if your family are connected to his.
IRELAND....

ENGLAND

Convicts to Australia
Military History

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 28 September 23 06:18 BST (UK) »
Re DWYER families.  Mine were Michael (parents John and Mary (nee Ryan))and Bridget (nee McCarthy), both born Tipperary. married Greenane (Tipperary) 11 November 1835.  They came on the Lysander with 3 children, arriving Port Phillip 22 October 1841, and settled at Mia Mia (near Heathcote) after a stint in Melbourne.  There has never been any mention of there being siblings to Michael coming to Australia, although there is a family story that he visited Tasmania with his sister some time before his marriage but no-one can find any evidence for that. 

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 28 September 23 07:55 BST (UK) »
HI again....

Sue, thanks for sharing those clips about the Adjudication ... I had no idea what it was, so I have looked it up online, specifically relating to England in 1862.... because we know that is when Theo was mentioned for bankruptcy and coming to Australia.   The National Archives UK had some info... but I couldn't access records... yet..

BANKRUPTCY....
It looks like there were different types of Adjudication ... ones commenced by the debtor and ones commenced by a creditor.... but there appears to be one also for partnerships in business.... I don't know which one related to Theo... yet.... but if Theo was in Australia, he wouldn't have filed it... so it was filed against him and if  I remember correctly, he was linked to the Caudwell Mill which was run by the family.... hope i have remembered that right.  I think they had it from the early 1850s.   So my guess would be the family filed this, possibly to remove themselves (in a business partnership) from any debt that Theo had incurred.  Unsure.. just a guess.

I didn't realise bankruptcy meant people went to prison... the archives mention debtors prison... The Kings Bench/The Queens Bench.... so this could be the motivation for coming to Australia in 1862... he was avoiding prison.....  if he stayed in England, he would have gone to prison as a bankrupt person.  more in a second... .here are some links

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/bankrupts-insolvent-debtors/#4-insolvent-debtor-records-c1792-c1869

https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/RESEARCH_GUIDES/web_detail_rg/SISN+82?SESSIONSEARCH

Who is Ellen Caudwell?
When I was on the National Archives, I noticed an ELLEN CAUDWELL, who came to Australia 10 years earlier.... NO idea IF or how she is related to Theo... (doesn't look like they are closely related)  but if I read it correctly, she comes to Victoria  1852 on the FRANCIS RIDLEY... she must be married because in the letter to her family in England in 1852 she tells about the death of her daughter on the ship.  She is married.....   She does mention the Bendigo area, but seems to live closer to Melbourne, so possibly related to the Caudwell I mentioned on the Eltham Roads Board. Unsure... but by 1857 she is a widow in North Melbourne...  It seems she has remarried November 1857... it states she is 25 years old.   
just saw her name and Victoria Australia so thought it would be good to share for any Caudwell....

https://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk/index.php/informationobject/browse?topLod=0&sort=relevance&query=caudwell&repos=

IRELAND....

ENGLAND

Convicts to Australia
Military History