Author Topic: Joseph CAUDWELL, Victoria 1852?  (Read 8243 times)

Offline caudwellresearch

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph CAUDWELL, Victoria 1852?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 02:42 GMT (UK) »
It's been a while since this thread was active, however I'm researching the Caudwell's and am seeking information on Joseph Jnr (son of the convict) and also his wife Mary Jane, I've been unable to find them on any ship's passenger lists when they emigrated in 1852. Family legend has it that she came on the Lady Head (but isn't on the passenger list) and that he missed the boat and came separately.

Regarding our convict ancestor Joseph Snr, I've discovered he was alive and still thieving into his 70's!

EXTRACT FROM THE VICTORIA POLICE GAZETTE 9th November, 1865
A warrant has been issued at Queenstown against Joseph Caldwell, for stealing from the stables of Messrs. Winston and Cooper four bags of chaff and some maize. The offender, whose discharge from ticket-of-leave is reported p.412 1861, is a Derbyshire man, a labourer, aged 74, 5 feet 8 inches high, fresh complexion, grey hair and eyes, and one or more of the upper front teeth wanting; London to VDL 1843, bond 10 years; wore grey coat and vest, brown trousers, lace-up boots, and black belltopper hat. He is supposed to be about Melbourne – 7th November, 1865

Offline ian caudwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, I’m Ian Caudwell. I have news on Joseph Caudwell b 1794, transported to Van Diemens land. The family did not lose contact with him.
After being released he came to Melbourne. He was subsequently convicted of stealing a horse ( for the second time). Upon release he went to Queenstown ( Vic) to be with the family but a warrant for his arrest for theft was issued in 1865. He was believed to have escaped back to Melbourne. By that time he was 74. The man who died in Ballarat, Joseph Caldwell was not him.. that Joseph was born in 1801 in Yorkshire.
Does anyone know where and when he died?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat both of you. The member who started off this topic nudge67 sadly has a note underneath their name to show that we have lost contact with this member, it looks like they changed their email address but never updated their profile here. They were last online in 2019.

Old members do get in touch all the time to update old profiles, I hope that this will be the case for this member.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Been away for a while...

This thread was started while conducting research for my now ex-wife, so I no longer can access any original documentation to support anyone in their research. Sorry.

nudge67
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 October 22 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Nudge, Shellytabby, Sarah, Ian, Sparrett, Maz and Caudwellresearch

I think its interesting that you are all talking about CAUDWELLs, in Cheltenham, Eltham etc, because my g grandfather was a CAUDWELL too, born in Mentone Victoria (from memory, I am in the West).

I would LOVE to compare Joseph Caudwell to my Theo Caudwell if possible please.  Theo is my gg grandfather, was transported to VDL, then moved to Victoria when he did his time.  His wife and her parents had come to Victoria to wait for him (Slous family).  Then Theo and his wife had my g grandfather and some more bubbas. 

I know transportation from the UK to VDL was the norm, then the expirees moved to Victoria etc, but Caudwell is not a surname like my others... Kelly.   I wonder if our families are connected back in the UK?

I don't know what Victoria was like in the mid 1800s but it is interesting that Cheltenham and Eltham are both places that both our families were and seem to be at the same time. 

NOT sure how popular the CAUDWELL name is in England, I notice yours was born in Yorkshire and mine was further south in COrnwall. 

COnsidering the chat has been going over 10 years, its nice to still find it online.  HOping that posts from 2021 are still going to have people respond.  Hope to chat soon :)
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 October 22 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ada,

What was the name of the parents of your  man Theo CAUDWELL?
Do you know?
Sue

EDIT to amend omitted words ::)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 October 22 12:46 BST (UK) »
His wife and her parents had come to Victoria to wait for him (Slous family).  Then Theo and his wife had my g grandfather and some more bubbas. 

I think you might be getting your ancestors mixed up.  Theodore was not a convict, he immigrated in 1862 and married Myrian Ada SLOUS in 1866 at Benalla.  When he married he said he was aged 40, born in Alfreton (Derbyshire), parents John CAUDWELL and Catherine NAYLOR.

Debra  :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 October 22 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ada,
I agree with Debra and I think you might discover some interesting things about your Theodore.

The 1971 UK census shows his wife Mary CAUDWELL (nee DUNSTON) whom he married in 1856.

Marriages Jun 1856 
CAUDWELL Theodore
DUNSTON  Mary
Mansfield  7b 111

She is living with her widowed mother Hannah DUNSTON aged 82 in Warsop, Nottinghamshire,  and her 2  children   James D.  CAUDWELL 12 years  and Eliza CAUDWELL years 14.

Mary describes herself a married.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 August 23 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Dundee, Debra and Sue

Yep, was clearly having a terrible day and got my ancestors mixed up. Sorry about that.

Meant Theo Caudwell who married Myrian Slous in Australia....   I didn't realise Theo was married in England though. 

Is there a fb group for Caudwell families in Aus? I don't always see notifications here. It may be good for sharing info if anyone is interested.

Cheers

IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History