Author Topic: Desparately Seeking Edward George Taylor  (Read 26237 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Desparately Seeking Edward George Taylor
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 23 February 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Great detective work AVM228  :)

Do you think there's a possibility that Edward George Taylor & Connie Jane Batchelor's engagement or marriage may also be mentioned in Straits Times

I couldn't find such an announcement, nor his 1968 death, but others may want to have a go as I am multi-tasking and may well have missed something.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 23 February 12 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find such an announcement, nor his 1968 death, but others may want to have a go as I am multi-tasking and may well have missed something.

I've also had a go with the link you provided and haven't come up with anything either - such a shame ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 23 February 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you what arm forces Edward George Taylor was in when he was a POW

I am not sure...I think he was involved with the British forces...

when the Japanese invaded Singapore they captured all British or even anyone who looked white to them......

my grandad was captured and sent to the Death railway in Thailand as far as I know. He survived. I think he was in Changi for a time too...

once I remember vaguely being shown a old military base in Singapore and told that my grandad was a clerk there under the British...

he came out of it very ill with TB and spent alot of time in the Cheshire Home until his death I think....

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 23 February 12 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Good morning from New Zealand to my wonderful geneology angels...!!

Thank you so much for the info you found and the possible leads you have given me...I am more grateful that I can say...

I contacted Uncle Alleyne 's widow E via facebook...and she has confirmed that Iris Taylor is grandpa's sister.....

.there were sisters and brothers.She says she has a lovely picture of my great grandparents with my grandpa and his brothers and sisters.....she will scan and send it to me when she gets home

( I have not known such things existed!)

Also she says that she thinks Donald is his brother - she has a letter from him a long time ago from the US that she will try to find....

This so wonderful to me...can you imagine I am close to tears....somewhere finally  and the possibility of seeing the faces of my great grandparents!!!

We got cut off before I could ask more...

Auntie G is the eldest ...then my uncle Alleyne and then my dad G.

I am stunned at what you can find - I have been researching Singapore papers and come up with nothing......!!

Thank You from the bottom of my heart for your help

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 23 February 12 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I have not figured out how to do the "quote " thing properly...so forgive me...

Re' Edward Taylor's death announcment.

None may have been put in- I recall the mention that the time of the death was very bad as the family ( ie my dad ) was struggling -so the minimum could be done for the funeral. - they may not have put in an annoucement.

He was sick for a long time - so they may have phoned people instead...after his death.

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 23 February 12 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if trying to obtain Donald’s US birth certificate will help

I called A***.com and was told to try this place for copies of certs etc - he said it was cheaper than going through them ( lovely lovely man) so I am posting it here if other want the info .

www.vitalcheck.com

I will order the certs if there are brothers for sure.....as it will cost over $50 to get it and then get it here. Worth it if its him!

Is it possible that one of their parents remarried? I wonder when their parents travelled to US?

I am wondering this too...but have never heard any mention of a re marriage. My aunt in the UK ( Uncle Alleyne's widow) says there were brothers and sisters and that she has a picture of them with my GG grandparents. She says That she thinks Donald is his brother.

When I was searching I found a travel passenger list with an Ernest Taylor leaving Singapore for the US in 1911. The full name was Ernest George Lanyard Taylor.

*** Yes I have noticed the repeatitions of name variations in the family!

In a passenger list of the ship Eurymachus - in 30 June 1920 - there was a passenger called George Taylor - who left Singapore at age 17 to arrive in San Francisco from Singapore port...

it would have put the age range in the right scope for Grandad.I was also told by my dad...many moons ago- that my family came to settle in Singapore as they were shipping folk.....???

I dont know if these people are "my people" or not...

Can I establish whether it’s Edward George or George Edward Taylor born 1902 as you use both

It says Edward George Taylor in family records BUT I have found him called Eddie or also found searches that are for George Edward .....I read that at times names are switched around..

By chance I found a baptism  record for a Edward George Taylor  at Stephney,Tower Hamlets at St Dunstan and All Saints  for 1902...a week after my grandad was born. The church seems to do baptisms every week on a Sunday...it lists his parents as Ernest and Kate.Taylor , Ernest being a clerk.

Again is it him???

Thank you  LadyHawk for your help....so much! - I will take a look...at the info you sent

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 23 February 12 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Alleyne is mentioned on your other thread as the eldest son, but was he the eldest child of the family?

The death notice for Connie Jane Taylor in the Straits Times of 21 December 1972 describes her at the beloved mother of G______, Alleyne and G_______. [I have anonymised in case they are living].

The first of the G______ names (a very rare female name) corresponds to an engagement announcement in the Straits Times of 30 Oct 1947.  The bride-to-be is Miss G_______ Taylor, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs E.G. Taylor of Singapore.

Obviously to be getting engaged/married in 1947 she'd have had to be quite a bit older than Alleyne.

No- that was my mistake...Auntie G is the eldest ...( I always get that order wrong)

The death notice you have found is my grans...she died on the 20 December 1972- do you have a source for that announcement? I would like to print the notice and keep.

Yes that looks like the announcement for Auntie G . wedding ...it should say to a Wells Rodiguese ( I get the spelling for this mixed up. -he has since passed on )

Rodriguese?? I am trying to get her new mail address..

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 23 February 12 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Sue,

You really should not be giving any personal deatils of people still living,not their names and certainly not where they live.I expect a mod will be along soon to delete some of your post.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whiskerssue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 23 February 12 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol....I will go in and ammend my post...I thought I only mentioned people passed on in full...but may have slipped up...Thank you for pointing that out.