Author Topic: Samuel Ambrose - Ramsgate  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Ankaret

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Ambrose - Ramsgate
« on: Wednesday 22 February 12 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Can anyone help me.  I am looking for details of what happened to Samuel J Ambrose after 1915. He was the Master of the Dredger "Hope" at Ramsgate Harbour 1901 - 1915. Birth cira 1866.
I cannot seem to find a descendant on internet.
I cannot find death recrods for him. A marriage 1890 is recorded to Mary Ann Edwards. A previous enquirer mentioned a navy career for him. Cannot see how this is at all possible to fit in.

Thank you in advance. Best Regards. June.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Ambrose - Ramsgate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 13:52 GMT (UK) »
He appears to marry Elizabeth Hooker in 1906 Thanet 2a 2090

theres a death for a Mary Ann Ambrose  Dec qu 1903 Thanet 2a 587 age 34

1901 census has her age at 37 though.Also has Samuel J as a general labourer.
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 14:04 GMT (UK) »
He has a son with Elizabeth

Lewis Herbert Ambrose 1903 Dec qu maybe he was Mary Anns child and she died in childbirth.

for some reason he has been transcribed as Geulis!!!!!
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Theres a marriage for Lewis H Ambrose to Lily M Down in Thanet  Jun qu 1925 maybe you could find rellies through this line.

Offline Ankaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. This gives me a bit to build on.

Now is this a complete coincidence or not.  Kezia Potter (died 1911)was widowed from Edward Dawes. Their child, also named Edward Dawes, who grew up with grandparents in Deal, became the Master Dredger of Ramsgate after Samuel Ambrose(1915).  In the records we have Keziah Dawes(her married name that she kept) living with a Samuel Ambrose with an earlier date of birth in Ramsgate.  I cannot find a connection anywhere between the two Ambrose. I naturally assumed at first Edward had re found his mum and had a new step dad in Ambrose. Maybe not then.

Very strange. June.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
There are two dates so it's a bit unclear but Rubert Bertram AMBROSE gives his next of kin as father, Samuel J AMBROSE of 17 Alma Road, Ramsgate 14 Jul 1916 or 12 Feb 1917 when he enlists into WW1 so that take Samuel Joseph AMBROSE forward to 1916 or 1917.  In 1920 Rubert gives his own address as 29 King Street.

Rubert B AMBROSE marries Florence C H WEEKS March quarter 1932 Thanet registration district.  There is also a possible marriage registration for his sister, Daisy Winifred AMBROSE in 1931 Thanet ............. Daisy W AMBROSE to Charles H BROOKS.

Are you actually researching the POTTERs or the AMBROSEs?

I cannot find a connection anywhere between the two Ambrose

I'm not quite sure what you mean here ............. Samuel J(oseph) AMBROSE bc1866 is listed as the son of Sameul J AMBROSE bc1832 in the 1871 census.

A Samuel AMBROSE was resident at 7 Cavendish Place, Ramsgate in 1929  and still there in 1936 (directories) http://janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/index.html ........... could that be Samuel Joseph bc1866?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ankaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. That is interesting. 

I am researching Keziah Potter and Samuel Ambrose. But it would seem not the Samuel Ambrose the Master of the Dredger. (which astounds me given that Potters son(dawes) succeeded Samuel Ambrose Master of the Dredger in the same post!) . I keep looking for a nephew or cousin..anything to connect the two Samuel Ambrose. It sounded so convenient...father son (or uncle)passing on family trade but maybe they were not related at all.
If you check the 1901 census at 79 chapel Rd Ramsgate and I think 1891 census we have a Samuel Ambrose who died 1912 and born about 1833, living with Keziah Potter.  Its a complete mystery why she is listed as lodging with him (and dies alone 1911 at minster workhouse) having born him two children who then carry the dawes name not Ambrose. 
If we solve this one we really are on sherlock holmes level.  June.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I keep looking for a nephew or cousin..anything to connect the two Samuel Ambrose

The two Samuel AMBROSEs are father and son aren't they?  It was the son, Samuel AMBROSE, who was the master dredger so the DAWES boy would be his step-brother wouldn't he if Samuel junior's father "married" the DAWES boys mother?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ankaret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes..you must be right.  I was thrown by a couple of simple transcription errors. Thank you so much for a fresh pair of eyes. Dont know why I couldnt see it.

June