Author Topic: Cleaning advice please?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Cleaning advice please?
« on: Wednesday 22 February 12 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Most of my old photos are quite grubby (dirty), with bits stuck to them and splash marks on them. They have been handled a lot over the years and are still currently stored in an old cardboard chocolate box! They smell quite musty and 'old' but are dry.

I've looked through the locked topics but haven't seen advice of how to clean them... have I missed something please?

How would I clean these? I'm guessing a very slightly damp cotton wool bud would still be a very bad idea...??  Is this something I should not attempt myself?  I can't afford having them seen my a professional, is it best to just leave them as they are?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alan m

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning advice please?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I cannot answer your question, but you could scan the most important ones into your your computer Then start to post one at a time on here to see what can be achieved.If you do decide to scan please scan at 300 to 600
Alan
Cheshire B.M.Ds

Victory Cornwall
Thomas Cheshire
Lobb Cornwall/Hampshire
Croft Cheshire
Mitchell Birkenhead/Portsea/Portland
Fenn Essex
Shone Cheshire
Atherton Liverpool

FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600
AND IN COLOUR, EVEN IF BLACK AND WHITE

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan

The ones that aren't too badly damaged I think I could improve myself with photoshop.

I'm thinking more along the lines of should I try to clean them up to preserve them before putting them in an album or some kind of storage.  The images are special but I love the originals pictures because they are so old (for me anyway lol) and have probably been held by that person and treasured by someone  :)  hopefully some people will know what I mean?!?

Offline JDJames89

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 12 07:32 GMT (UK) »
DO NOT USE MOISTURE OF ANY KIND ON YOUR PHOTOS!!! Even the slightest of dampness will obliterate the original images. Water plays an important part in developing film and after the final images are set, water will leave you with nothing but a white piece of paper.

That said, I don’t believe much can be done to restore original photographs outside of professional servies. (I’m not trying to encourage you to spend money in that direction, I just really don’t know what else you could do that wouldn’t run the risk of damaging a photo).

To clean the originals, I would suggest using a dry cotton swab or cotton ball to rub off the worst of the dirt. A dry microfiber washcloth (you can buy them wherever you get house cleaning supplies) might also be worth trying.  Also, I’ve read that canned air (the kind they sell for use on computer keyboards, electronics, etc) can be helpful in removing excess dust or dirt. For torn, worn or bent corners, I suggest trimming the edges with one of those paper cutters used for scrapbooking to ensure straight edges and perfect corners.

As for the musty smell: After removing the most of the residue, I suggest setting the photos out in a single layer somewhere they can air out for a day or two untouched (you might have to do it in batches to save room) – preferably somewhere with circulating fresh air. After that, I suggest storing them in a box with a few dryer sheets or some baking soda (make sure neither actually touch the photos: crack open the box of baking soda or fold the dryer sheets and tape them to the side of the box).  This should help with the worst of the odor. When they smell better, you could put then put them into a photo album or you could just store them in the boxes and leave the air freshener of your choice with them. 

For some photos, it might be better to just scan them or have digital copies made to use for display instead of the originals, which you can pack away for safekeeping.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning advice please? *completed thanks*
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 12 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much JDJames89.  Thats very important to know, I'm grateful. 

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 12 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi AngelFish :)

I echo JDJames' advice not to use moisture on your photos.  There were different kinds of emulsions/colloids used over the years and unless you know what you are dealing with you can cause irreparable damage.  

I have tried the baking soda approach (as JDJ suggests) with success in the past - not sure about dryer sheets though  ???  I don't think they'd "soak up" smell like baking soda does, but you could give it a try.

Cleaning could be attempted with a wad of cotton wool lightly brushed over the surface of any old photograph that is very sound, by that I mean the surface is not flaky or cracked at all.  I would not try anything other than this method to get dirt off, or you are likely to rub too hard and damage the surface.

I would not trim damaged edges, either, but that's my personal preference and my professional training talking  ;)

Best thing is to leave them mostly alone.  Get nice big full-colour, high resolution, good bit-depth scans of them, then store them safely in archival quality storage systems.

There is information about photo storage etc. at the top of the "FH Documents and Artefacts" board, where I am about to move this topic to :)

Cheers
Prue