Author Topic: Alexander McRae born 1796  (Read 7659 times)

Offline Deltafin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McRae born 1796
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 June 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the info, I have had another look and will investigate the three Banff deaths , Colin James and Jessie but I dont think that they are from my family.

Offline Deltafin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 December 12 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the gravestone details of Christian McRae[nee Gordon]who died at Deskford Street,Cullen on 27/11/1876 aged 82,[I have a copy of her death cert] to see if there is any reference to her husband Alexander McRae and to whom I am unable to find a death cert or date having checked in Scotlands People and Scots Origins sites with no success.
Is there anyone who can advise where I can obtain this information as I am still trying to confirm who Alexanders parents were due to the conflicting information on his birth date , is it 1795,1796 or 1793 and where exactly was he born. I have a cert for 1793 born in Banffshire which might be him but this may be incorrect as all census details point to him beig born aroun 1795/6.
Kind Regards
Deltafin

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 December 12 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I have looked on LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp and there is no reference to Christian Gordon or McRae. This means that when the MIs in (the present boundaries of) Moray, which includes Cullen and Deskford, were recorded in 1978/9, no gravestone was found.

If she was buried in Cullen or Deskford, the burial records should be in the care of Moray Council. Moray Local Heritage Centre has microfilms of most of the burial records. You could try contacting them - contact details are on the LIBINDX web site.

Was Christian a widow when she died?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Deltafin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information, I will check on the Moray Council Site. Christian was a widow on her death,and on the 1861 census she is shown as a widow so her husband Alexander died sometime between 1851 and 1860 but again I can find no record.There is a record of an Alexander McRae aged around 74 buried in Fordyce but I believe that this is not him due to the information on his death cert his wife was called Mary McKenzie and there is no evidence I can find that show him being married twice.
Regards
Deltafin

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Alexander died sometime between 1851 and 1860

If he died before 1854, there won't be a death certificate to find; statutory civil registration didn't start until 1855. I presume you have looked at the pre-1855 deaths on SP, but to be honest I'd be surprised if you found him there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Deltafin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have checked with Sp ,
Scots Origins,FamilySearch,AncestryResearch,Geneanet.Genealogy.com,Scottish Catholic Archives,Scottish Roots,Wikitree to see if there is information on other family trees,which there is but they have either found nothing or the information is incorrect so perhaps Moray Local Heritage can identify something from parish records. I have also tried to prove a link to an Alexander born in 1793 to Colen and Elizabeth as previously stated to see if this is him as the family names are the same right up to the present day, but I am unable to find proof of birth or death to link to his parents.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Basically, if it's not on SP, the chances of you finding a death are small, and your chances of finding a death record that names his parents is nil. All those other sites you mention have either indexes to the information on SP, or information contributed by someone or other, and you have no way of knowing whether the information is accurate or pure fantasy without tracking down and looking at their sources. The only online source of original documents relating to births, marriages and deaths in Scotland's People, though some people who have obtained original documents from SP may be willing to share the information via one or other site, such as http://www.sctbdm.com/index.php and http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/national

Offline Deltafin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again.I had a quick look on the Moray Libindx System and found some interesting info so I will try these other sites as well that you have mentioned.