Author Topic: Alexander McRae born 1730 - 1740  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Deltafin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McRae born 1730 - 1740
« on: Thursday 23 February 12 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace details on my Gt.Gt.Gt.Gt.Gt.grandfather Alexander McRae Born 1730 - 1740 & married Isbel McKenzie ,[I can find no trace of a marriage certificate or Birth certificates for either] They had sons Colin. Born 16/5/1759 at Ardival, Fodderty.Son James Born 30/01/1761 at Fodderty [Canna make out the name of the house.There is also an Alexander Born 10/08/1771, but I am not sure if he is another son.
I am struggling to try and find the birth,marriage and death details of both Alexander and Isbel
Colin moved to Fordyce in Banffshire and married Elizabeth Black 0n 19/5/1793.
They had a son Alexander Born 1793 who married Christian Gordon at Fordyce in 1815.

I have uncovered 3 Isobel McKenzies but I am unsure if one of them would be the wife of Alexander born during the 1730,s they are:-
Isobel Christened 18/5.1743 in Foddertythers name is John McKenzie [if this is her then she would have been 16 when she gave birth to Colin in 1759]
Isobel McKenzie born 09/06/1738 in Urquhart and Logie[ father is Alexander MCkenzie [she would have been 21 when she gave birht to Colin]
Isobel McKenzie born 01/12/1738 in Urquhart and Logie, father Kenneth McKenzie , mother Isobel McKenzie
These are the only females with the name Isobel that I can find being born around the Fodderty area but until I can find a marriage cert and Alexanders birth I am stumped. How /where can I find a wedding cert or were they never married or maybe a handfast marriage never registered????

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McRae born 1796
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 12 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat,
Perhaps if you posted your query on the Banffshire board you may get a response.

Good Luck
James

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 12 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi and Welcome to rootschat,

This could be the family you are looking for.  Alexander does not appear in the 1851 or 1861 census with the family. It is possible he may have died 1841-1851.
1841 census Clayland Fordyce Banffshire
All Born Banffshire
Alexr Macrae 45 Ag Lab
Christina Macrae 45
Hellen Macrae 20
Elisabeth Macrae10
Elspet Macrae 7
John Macrae 3

1851 Seafield Lane Cullen Banffshire
Christina Mcrae 60 Aberdeen
Hellen Mcrae 33  Fordyce Aberdeen
Elisabeth Mcrae21 Ordeyguhill, aberdeenshire servant
Elspet Mcrae 16 Ordeyguhill, aberdeenshire servant
John Mcrae 12 Fordyce Aberdeen
Robert Mcrae 8 Fordyce Aberdeen
Christian Ogilvie 18mths King Edwar Aberdeen granddaughter

1861 Census Christina is still at the 1851 address.

**IN the 1841 census enumerators were instructed to round down the ages of persons 15 years and over to the nearest five years.  If a person lied about their age, this, combined with the rounding down, could severely distort the actual age.

Regards
mariac

Offline Deltafin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 12 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the info, it seems correct though I see what you mean abou their ages, they do not appear to have aged in ten years according to the census reports?? No details available for the birthplace of Alexander though I have found an Alexander in the 1851 census at Rumbling Pots Fordyce aged 54 identified as a day visitor showing birthplace as Gairloch so this may be him if he was labouring at different farms.

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 12 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deltafin,
  On the 1841 census all the family are listed as born Banffshire. I would be hesitant to assume that the Alexander at Rumbling Pots was your Alexander on that evidence alone.
Regards
Mariac 

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 12 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Deltafin,
 I found this on the free census which shows that Christian/Christina is a widow in 1851 census

1851 Census Cullen -Banffshire  :Seafield Lane

MCRAE   Christian   Head  W    F   60       Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen       
    MCRAE   Helen   Daur   U   F   33   Outwork    Banffshire - Fordyce       
    MCRAE   Elizabeth   Daur   U   F   21   Servant    Banffshire - Ordiquhill       
    MCRAE   Elspet   Daur   U   F   16   Servant    Banffshire - Ordiquhill       
    MCRAE   John   Son   -   M   12   Scholar/pauper    Banffshire - Fordyce       
    MCRAE   Robert   Son   -   M   8   Scholar/pauper    Banffshire - Fordyce       
    OGILVIE   Christian   Grndau   -   F   20m       Aberdeenshire - King Edward   

http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

regards
mariac

Offline Deltafin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 20:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again for the information. I have posted the details on the Banffshire site but again no information has been obtained as to who his parents were though I have found a Colin McRae B1771 Somewhere and wife Elizabeth Black who may be his uncle and aunt but again I am unable find a link, and can find no parents records for Colin .Alexanders marriage cert does not have a record of his parents and I have as yet found no trace of a death cert although I believe that he died in Cullen around 1850.

Offline Deltafin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 June 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
I have found Alexanders birth, he was born in 1793 at Boyndie,Banffshire, Father Colin Mcrae born in Fodderty 1759 his father is also called Alexander but again I can find no details of his birth,marriage ,parentsor death, He was married to Isbel McKenzie who again I am unable to find birth details or parents.
Colin married Elizabeth Black in Cullen 19/5/1793, they had sons Alexander B1793.James B1794,Colin B1798,John B1799 & William B1801. It is interesting that these fornames follow though all future generations though I have yet to explore them but I would appreciate any information.