Author Topic: Tweedie marriage, Carlisle, Q2 1870  (Read 829 times)

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Public Tree on Ancestry
    • View Profile
Tweedie marriage, Carlisle, Q2 1870
« on: Thursday 23 February 12 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out what happened to John Tweedie after he disappears from Cockermouth in 1867.
John Tweedie, illegitimate, born 1840, Cummertrees, Dumfrieshire
1841 Census age 5 months - with his mothers family,  Dumfrieshire
1851 Census age 9 with another branch of his mothers family, Dumfreishire
1861 Census age 20, ploughman, Ruthwell, Dumfrieshire
1867 Marries Mary Corr, RC Chapel, Cockermouth. MCert had gis father as Evan Tweedie - which is what I expected -his occupation is Labourer
1867 Birth of Rosannah - her Birth cert has father John Tweedie, Railway Worker. She was born in the workhouse in Cockermouth.
Then he disappears - and no death found, I have browsed Death registration originals 1866 to 1871, and searched the index up to 1911. I intend to keep browsing - so where does he go?

1873 his wife, Mary Corr remarries in Cockermouth, status 'widow'.
1886 Rosannah marries. Mcert has father john Tweedie, Coal Miner, deceased.

I thought I had him marrying again in 1873, Tynemouth - but rats- MCert has his father as John
there is a marriage of John Tweedie in Flintshire in 1870 (see thread in Flintshire forum) - and this John is on 1871,81 in Flintshire before death in 1884, but his birh is 1834 - he is from scotland, and I cant see hime before 1871 in Wales - I am hoping someone will check the Mcert for me - but in the meantime

I have another possibility
John Tweedie marries Margaret (2 margarets on this page either Fiddler or Little)
registered Carlisle 10b771 1870 Q2.
This John/Margaret Tweedie appear in Dumfrieshire on 1871 and 1881 census with his place of birth badly transcribed (71) as Lodender in Johnstone, Paisley Abbey (I think thats them) - but his age is not a good match

If anyone can help - especially to identify the father of the groom on the marriage or the correct transcription of the 71 census i would be grateful

Tweedie, Garnett,  Smith - !!!, Fearnley,
Bennetts, Waterhouse, Horobin, Tranter

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tweedie marriage, Carlisle, Q2 1870
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 11:02 GMT (UK) »
well - the john tweedie in wales is ruled out, wrong fathers name, also the john tweedie in tynemouth is ruledout for the same reason wrong father's name on marrige cert

as far as I can see that leave
a ) this guy
b) death in Whitehaven 1875 Q4 - but age is 10 years out, and I checked the image of the index original - it isnt a transcription error - unless it was made when the index was creatd - can any one check that?
c) he goes overseas, or uses an alias.

I am stumped :'(

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 08:56 GMT (UK) »
b) death in Whitehaven 1875 Q4 - but age is 10 years out, and I checked the image of the index original - it isnt a transcription error - unless it was made when the index was creatd - can any one check that?

Probably the one aged 40 in 1871 census. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline allans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 09:00 GMT (UK) »
yes, I agree,  I have have no evidence of a link between the Tweedies in Whitehaven and Cockermouth