Author Topic: Surname Ruglin Completed Thank you  (Read 2204 times)

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname Ruglin Completed Thank you
« on: Thursday 23 February 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »
I have just found the marriage of William Wright and Elizabeth Ruglin at Kinnethmont in 1749 but cannot find any baptisms for Ruglins in Aberdeenshire before the 1760s. There are a number of marriages in Gartly, Insch and Kinnethmont from 1740 but the only baptism I can find on family search is for a James Ruglan in 1717 in Roxburghshire. I have tried baptisms on Scotland's people but with no other results apart from James. Has anyone else come across this surname? There seems to be a similar surname Ruslin in Shetland but that didn't seem to help.
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Ruglin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 12 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Seeing the name Ruglin made me think of Rutherglen in Glasgow.  Some locals pronounce Rutherglen as Ruglin.  So, I tried a few variations.

There is an Elspet Ruthglen christened in Clatt in 1743, an Elizabeth Ruthglen in 1754 and another elspet Ruthglen in 1757, both Kennethmont.  Ok, none of these can be your Elizabeth married in 1749 but it might give you some ideas on what else to search for.

Good luck.

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 12 22:09 GMT (UK) »
G F Black's Surnames of Scotland lists Roglyn, Rosglen, Ruglyn, Ruglene, Rugling and Ruglan as variants of Rutherglen as a surname.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 12 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I'll have a go with those.
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 12 22:48 GMT (UK) »
In view of the potential variations, try using wildcards, eg, R*G*L*N*
That would incorporate all the variations Forfarian has mentioned. 

Dave
-------------------

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 12 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Remember it was not compulsary to register births. It also cost money & many families did n't bother. There is also different coverage of registers for each parish. Some are incomplete.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 February 12 10:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a Ruglenscroft near Huntly.

From The Place names of Strathbogie

I think it is probable that these
  places, being small, and having no distinctive
  local name, became known by some common
  descriptive term, or by the personal name of the
  occupant, with ' sett ' attached, in the same way
  as we now use the word croft in Dunscroft and
  Ruglenscroft, both personal names.

Found at The National Library for Scotland

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 12 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Nice find Archivos.
Wont help pollyman directly but one of the lovely bits of info that it is nice to gather.

Dave
-------------------

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once again. I have managed to find some more information but with Ruglen and Rugland so I am now trying to connect them. I looked at the original entry for the first marriage and it was more like a note book than a register. The record keeping was definitely dependant on the clergyman at the time.