Author Topic: Anderson Family - Six Mile Cross  (Read 9947 times)

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anderson Family - Six Mile Cross
« on: Thursday 23 February 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi - This is my first stab at Irish family research.  Honestly, it seems very daunting..

I'm wondering where to start looking to see if there is a record of the marriage of William Anderson, born c 1813 in Six Mile Cross to Elizabeth??, born c 1818.  They married in Ireland and subsequently moved to Ontario.  I'm guessing they married approx. 1848 as their first child that i see is born in 1851.  I believe that William's parent are Joseph Anderson and Peggy Adams.

Thanks so much!!

lisa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson Family - Six Mile Cross
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 12 22:46 GMT (UK) »
First of all their religion would help, any siblings....even a tiny clue can be important! I found some of mine in Australia simply because of their house names matching their address here. Religion..Church of Ireland/ 1st Presbyterian or Roman Catholic etc is important
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 12 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying!  On the census's in Ontario they list their religion as Weslyan Methodist. I believe William's siblings are Thomas, Joseph, Benjamin, George, Robert, Mary, Naussa and John; presumed to be all born in Ireland between abt 1808 abt 1830.

I have limited other information; lots of unknown.

Thanks for any direction you can give.

Lsa
Bentley-Lancs & West Yorkshire, Schofield- Lancs, Cooke & Abbott-Northamptonshire & Canada, Smith & Careless-Staffs, Stewart-Scotland & Canada, Hamill-Ireland, Canada & Maine

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 12 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Ok...some of mine were Methodists, one a Minister...all their records are in Church of Ireland (C of I) as the C of I were the official keepers of records!!

Tuesday, May 19, 1829   COUNTY TYRONE.

List of Persons who have served Notices on the Clerk of the Peace, of their intention to Register Freeholds at the ensuing Special Sessions, to be held at Clogher, Omagh, Strabane, and Dungannon, in the month of June next, as appointed by the Lord Lieutenant pursuant to the 10th Geo. IV. Chap. 8.

William Anderson,  Sixmilecross
James Anderson,  Sixmilecross & Aughnaglea

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried familysearch.org.. especially for Naussa?

An unusual name like that is a great help!!

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 February 12 23:38 GMT (UK) »
"Naussa" is probably supposed to be Nassau -in honour of King William who was of the House of Orange-Nassau:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/ashorthistory/archive/intro110.shtml
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sccond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 12 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you.  I am pretty new to this searching and brand new to Ireland. I should have jumped on the Nassau as I have a tree full of totally common names!  Will do that now.

Hallmark - I'm not exactly sure what the "Notices on the clerk of the Peace" is, but I will look into it. I wonder if it could be him...

Thanks so much, lisa

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 12 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Well you've quite a bit to go on now that you have given names etc..easier to find a group than an individual. Nassau/Naussa would be the easiest to identify..was wondering about spelling but anything is possible, Nessa etc, do you have any document with Naussa on it?? It most probably is Nassau but spelling can "vary"... one of my Halls is spelled Hawl.

You will probably find 10 William Andersons which is why you need to be able to look for family units to try to match up siblings etc..he may indeed be yours but maybe not!! It's only a possible starting point!

Basically "Notice was given to the Court Clerk to Register Freehold property..."

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 February 12 00:30 GMT (UK) »
You believe William's siblings are Thomas, Joseph, Benjamin, George, Robert, Mary, Naussa and John; presumed to be all born in Ireland between abt 1808 abt 1830.

Did they all emigrate?