Author Topic: William BRAY  (Read 1107 times)

Offline oafc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William BRAY
« on: Thursday 23 February 12 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Could anybody give me any suggestions as to where to look for the  birth of William BRAY who married Mary GREGORY on 19 Oct 1748 at STOKE DAMEREL   DEVON . I am also trying to trace his parents etc.
I believe they then went on to have a son Robert BRAY who married Christian BATTEN on 11 May 1784 at
Quethiock , Cornwall.
I traced their marriage on the IGI site but not sure where else to try.
I really would appreciate any suggestions .
Many Thanks.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM BRAY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 12 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Havent found a birth as yet for William but there were other children born to this couple in Stoke Dameral

Ann  ch.29.8.1749
Robert ch. 23.2.1750
Robert ch. 5.6.1753
William ch. 6.5.1755

All extracted records (taken from the actual register)

The problem with trying to find Williams baptism is we dont have any idea of his age or where he was born,  as a rule of thumb I initially search the IGI minus 20 years from the marriage date, there appear to be lots of Wm Brays in both Devon and Cornwall which might be him  :(

As he had 2 sons called Robert (the first probably died) his father may have been Robert  :-\
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline oafc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 12 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this info.
Do I look on the IGI for their details.
Can you suggest where else I might try?
As you can tell I'm new to Family History & still trying to find my way around.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 12 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Devon coverage is limited on the IGI - approx. 60% of parishes have 'some form of coverage'. Stoke Damerel was a widely used church for marriages - being a military port no questions were asked so the residency rule was not always in place.
The surname BRAY was very common in Cornwall, just across the Tamar, but how you will know 'which' William BRAY might be yours? You can search Cornwall registers at http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/person-search/.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline oafc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William BRAY Stoke Damerel
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 12 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions.
I've joined the Cornwall FHS and have been looking  around St.Neot ,St.CLeer and Liskeard (where current
generations were born) . I had a Robert BRAY who married Christina BATTEN @ Quethiock, Cornwall on 11/5/1784 ( he was listed as soujourner) & they then seemed to move to Stoke Damerel, where 3 of their children were born.They then seemed to move to Liskeard, where they had their final child Samuel ,(the line I am following)
I traced, a marriage for William BRAY to Mary GREGORY on 19/10/1748 which is how I arrived at Stoke Damerel, who could  be parents of the Robert in question.
This was why I was looking in area for birth of William.
Would any body have any suggestions,  Please.