Author Topic: Certificate help & service info of Arthur Edward Crowe  (Read 2753 times)

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Certificate help & service info of Arthur Edward Crowe
« on: Saturday 25 February 12 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Some time ago when I was a member of Ancestry I downloaded a few pages from a soldier's record who I thought could be my grandfather's brother Arthur Edward Crow /e. I have a copy of the medal card for No 61653 which states he was in the Lincolnshire Regiment.

He is born about the correct time and his next of kin John Crow of the Queens Head Legbourne Louth fits with what I have been told of my own grandfather's next of kin on his enlistment "JE Crow Queans Head Legbourne"

The Certificate I have attached has me confused. It is a "Protection Certificate or Certificate of Identity" and states it is for a soldier not remaining with the colours. Does this mean  the "colours" included the Lincolnshire Regiment?

It looks like he served another twelve months after the war ended? Was this normal?

The certificate says Unit: 15 P.O.W. What does this stand for?

Is there anything more anyone can add for him.

I am at a standstill.

Dawn

Australia
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Certificate help & service info of Arthur Edward Crowe
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 12 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn
What you have there is a copy of the paperwork he would be issued on demobilisation
"colours" means basically in the army
Looks like he was with 113 Prisoner Of War Company  1st Batt the Lincolnshire Regiment.

He didnt get called for service until early 1918 and was initially in the 3rd Lincolns that was a reserve UK based unit.He then went overseas in mid 1918.
So in reality served about 18 months.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 12 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ady

So by what you are saying he would have formed part of a company which guarded the prisoners? The hand writing is a bit difficult eg 115 or 113.
His enlistment place looks like it says Grantham?

Dawn

Australia
LINCOLNSHIRE= Crow / Crowe, Thompson, Everatt, Greenwood, Westfield, Lamminam / Lamiman (various spellings), Pattinson; CAMBRIDGESHIRE & NORFOLK= Bishop, Dewey, Gotobed, Powell, Carter, Spencer; CORNWALL = Chesterfield, Clemes, Williams, Trythall, Grillett; IRELAND, KILKENNY= Byrne, KILDARE = Glasgow, WICKLOW = Kinsella

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 12 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn
Yes that would be right guarding German POWs in France ...Grantham is the place he would have to return to if the Armistice fell down,
Cant find much about the POW Company online they MAY have come under command of the Labour Corps

His record is on ancestry

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline DMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 12 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Ady

I too have searched the internet re POW Company since your last reply with only a few hits on various forums.

I plan to rejoin ancestry again in the next twelve months. I will save his info until then. The ideal of course would be to find descendants but so far no luck.

Dawn

Australia