Author Topic: lookup please death Hannah Windley (nee Bradley)  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
Re: lookup please death Hannah Windley (nee Bradley)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

All counties, if you go to originsnetwork.com (I think or look at Google and type in British Origns) you can see what counties are covered and what type of documents they have.  Apart from census returns of which I can view the originals, all the other documents are indexes only, but they give enough info to be of help.

Let me know the names/areas and I will have a look either this evening or tomorrow (after my rugrats are in bed/at school).

Ann  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline dutch missmarple

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Thank you again for the offer. Here are a few details I'm still missing from my familytree.

John Windley: born 1842 Chigwell Essex. Father George mother Hannah (yes, that Hannah).
I have his whereabouts during the censuses of 1851, 1871 (royal navy, Ship Pylades), 1881, 1891. But not 1861  :(
John died 1900 in Woodford, Essex.

Jane Maria Windley (nee Halls). born 1854 Woodford, Essex. married to the above mentioned John Windley in 1882. children Oscar John T. Halls 1877 (ill.), James William Halls 1879 (ill.), Zoe Ethel Windley 1889, John Rupert Windley 1891 and Bessie Kathleen Windley 1894.
Don't know when or when Jane Maria died  :( Was she still alive during census of 1901? I did find the death of a Jane Maria Poole in march 1902 in Chorlton (where is that?). Poole was the maiden name of her mother. But that would be a longshot. And why would she take on her mother's name?

You said you found a Hannah Windley who died in Woodbridge in 1877. Her daughter-in-law (Jane Maria) was from Woodbridge. Maybe she was living with her in 1877? although she wasn't married yet to John. She did have an ill. son Oscar John T. (T. for Thomas?).
The interesting part here is that the John Windley she married was named John Thomas Windley. Is this maybe a hint that John  is the father? Questions, questions, questions. It drives me crazy (sometimes).

Sarah Jane Wilson (nee Stirrups) born 1846 Luddesdown Kent. Would like to know when she died.
Robert Wilson (hubby) born 1840 Highwood Essex, would like to know when he died as well. I'm quite sure that Robert still lived in 1912 (The lived in Shorne Kent I think). I have a bible/birthday book of him. One of the entries he made was: 11 April 1912 The loss of Titanic, lost 1509. Isn't that great? I don't know if the date and number of lives lost is correct, but great entrie anyway!

I'm missing many more details but these I know by heart. I was planning to stop researching the next two months (we're going to move soon), but I can't leave it alone. But stupid me already packed all of my genealogy stuff in boxes!!! And I can't access them anymore for the next 6-8 weeks! I'm addicted!

Anyway Ann, it would be great if you could find anymore details. If not, don't worry. I still appreciate every thing you've found for me so far.
All the best.
Ta ta
dutch missmarple

Ps where is your hubby from exactly?

Wilson: Writtle Essex, Shorne Kent.
Windley: Woodford Essex, Chigwell Essex, Blackmore Essex.
Halls: Chigwell and Woodford, Essex
Ambrose and Corteling: Sri Lanka

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have printed off your info and I will have a look tomorrow to see what I can find out (however, Origins doesn't provide details for 1901 census - but I know of a few other 'free' sites so I'll have a look at them.)

Ann

PS. Hubby is from H-I-Ambacht  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 May 05 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Ok, I can't find any deaths for Jane Windley or Sarah and Robert Wilson either on the free BMD or NBI websites, sorry.

I did find in the 1901 who I think are the Windley family:

Jane M Windley age 46 born: Woodford, Essex living in woodford Essex Occ. Charwoman

James Windley (not Halls) age 21 born: Woodford, living in Woodford Occ. Bricklayer

I also found Zoe and John with the same birth area and still living in Woodford but there was no mention of Bessie.

I can't check if they were all living at the same address (or what the address was) as I took this information from PRO census online and it's  pay-to-view.

Also, I found an Oscar Halls age 24 born: Woodford living in Dorking Rural Occ. Dairyman.

Was Jane's maiden name Halls?  She could have been married before John, especially as there seems to be a 10 year gap between the first 2 and last 3 kids.  In those days girls who got pregnant out of wedlock were more often than not sent away and had their babies taken away from them when they were born. 

As John was in the Navy he could have been abroad when the 1861 census was taken.  You can probably get a copy of his service record.  I think the PRO website gives details on how to obtain them.

Chorlton is in/near Manchester, I think.

Anyway that's all I can find for now. I am also trying to trace a family member who was in the Navy so if I find any good websites I'll let you know.

Good luck with the move (6-8 weeks - thats how long it took my furniture to reach the Middle East!)

groetjes,

Ann :)

Offline dutch missmarple

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

You said that women who were pregnant out of wedlock were sent away and the children would often be taken away. Where were the women sent to and where would these children be placed ??? Are there any records ??? Although Jane had (at least) 2 ill. children, they did stay with her. I also wondered about the 10 year gap between the first 2 children and the last 3 children, but I don't know what happened in that period with Jane and her children.
regards
dutch missmarple
Wilson: Writtle Essex, Shorne Kent.
Windley: Woodford Essex, Chigwell Essex, Blackmore Essex.
Halls: Chigwell and Woodford, Essex
Ambrose and Corteling: Sri Lanka