Author Topic: Brigid Braddle (Braddell), Wexford  (Read 2222 times)

Offline PatriciaEarle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brigid Braddle (Braddell), Wexford
« on: Monday 27 February 12 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on my gg-grandmother Brigid Braddle (it can be spelled a couple of different ways).

She married John Murphy. Their son James (my great grandfather) was born in 1864 and was baptised in Kilrush, Co. Wexford. They had other children also. As far as I can gather, Brigid died in the 1920's but I can't find where she or her husband are buried - not buried in Kilrush anyway.

On the Baptismal Cert, James' sponsors are listed as Patrick Braddle and Rosanna Purcell. In Griffiths valuation, there is mention of Patrick Braddle in Tombrack, Ferns.

Braddell was a well known name in the Carnew / Kilrush / Ballingate area at one stage and I do wonder if there is a connection to those Braddells.

If anyone can help, I would be most grateful. Even if I knew where they were buried, I could visit the grave.

Many thanks.
Earle - Murphy - Gaynor - Fortune - Braddell - Caim - Monart - Coolafancy - Carnew - Coolmeelagh - Ballingate/Bullingate

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brigid Braddle (Braddell), Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hiya, I found this with another spelling of the surname !

James Murphy
21 May 1864
Ferns, Wexford, Ireland
Parents John Murphy & Bridget Bradwell

Tara

Offline Wicked Chicken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  I would appreciate any information on John Murphy who was married to Brigid Bradwell here. From going through the Ferns parish records I believe it is Bradwell from Ballycarney. John Murphy birthplace and his parents/siblings are proving very elusive. My guess is that he was from either Graigue More or Graigue Beg in the Kilrush Parish.

Thank you
WC

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 07:38 BST (UK) »
Here is the 1864 birth registration for James Murphy.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03613/2333298.pdf

Born in Moneydurtlow, where my Sheridan ancestors are from.
Moneydurtlow was officially in the parish of Ferns, but most people seemed to abide by the ancient parish boundaries, which had Moneydurtlow as part of Kilrush. Which was unfortunate, as the Kilrush records are particularly awful.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wicked Chicken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wexflyer. I had found that also but it is there that the trail stops. I was born close by. Across the river in Marshalstown.
I was able to trace the Bradwell's and Candy side back to a James Stafford in Wexford Town in the mid 1700's but there are way too many Murphy's in the area to figure that side out. I'm allowed to say that as I am one myself :D
Thanks for your help.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wexflyer. I had found that also but it is there that the trail stops. I was born close by. Across the river in Marshalstown.
I was able to trace the Bradwell's and Candy side back to a James Stafford in Wexford Town in the mid 1700's but there are way too many Murphy's in the area to figure that side out. I'm allowed to say that as I am one myself :D
Thanks for your help.

I am afraid that I would have to concur that trying to figure out where John Murphy was from is probably impossible with any certitude. Too many Murphy's, not enough records. Particularly for a laborer.
DNA testing may (may) provide some hope of narrowing down the options.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area