Author Topic: HarryPoole & Elsie Poole nee Phillips  (Read 7014 times)

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: HarryPoole & Elsie Poole nee Phillips
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Source: Glos Archives PFC 20 IN 1/9 2, Entry No 141, Ashleworth, Marriages:-
November 18th, 1900, George POOLE, full age, Widower, Soldier, Ashleworth, f. Harry POOLE, Labourer married Sophia SMITH, Spinster, Ashleworth, f. William SMITH, Labourer.
This marriage was solemnized between us George POOLE and Sophia SMITH in the presence of Richard LOVETT(?) and Annie HYETT.
Source: Glos Archives PFC 20 IN 1/9 2, Ashleworth, Baptisms:-
07/07/1901, George Archie, son, George & Sophia POOLE, Ashleworth, Lab.
30/10/1904, William Henry
17/11/1907, Harry

Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Victor!

Just knew you come up with some local records ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 16:20 GMT (UK) »
 :D

Hi Victor and KGarrad

Thanks for the info.................to early inthe morning to take it all in right now though i notied the Hyett name as a witness i presume......which is strange coz one of the Poole grandchildren married a Hyett....................lol

Victor is it possible to get an image of the marriage?  And how do i find Georges first marriage............family has so far not mentioned that George was a widower

Thanks

Roto
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 April 12 02:32 BST (UK) »
Just an update on George Poole.  He was the right one, I found an inquest with Sophia Poole of they Quay  as a witness.  Other than a cert this will now confirm the couple.

I have not had much look with Elsie Phillips though, other than knowing that she marrie dHarry in 1927 at Devonport, Devon, England die to him been in the Navy.  They had at least two children, still waiting for replies on that.

Thanks again for all your help. :D

Roto
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 April 12 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Victor i wonder if you could tell me if there is an image available for George & Sophia Poole nee Smith.  I am trying to track Georges signature on what may very well be his first marriage.

Thank you.

Roto
Wifes side    

Husbands side

Offline olgit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 August 19 12:47 BST (UK) »
HI,
Came across your enquiry's about George Poole of the quay Ashleworth ,a George Poole was my Grandfather / great grandfather he died before I new him but can remember my mother Brenda Poole telling me tales of him as he was quiet a caricature in the village and was mentioned in a book written by the local canon that lived in the manor house . I can remember seeing a old photo of my mother and him outside their old home down by the boat inn , the buildings are no longer there, there were I think 4 one bed houses up some old stone steps .they moved to the old barracks then which is just up the road I have faint memories of living there as my parents stayed with my nan for a short time and have a couple of old photos many of which has been lost over time , I do know George was involved in searching for the head of the body found at the hawbridge Tirley in 1938 but I cannot help with the year of his death , my nan died at the age of 95 with us in Tirley I was about 4 or 5 i think , as far as I know there was only two children, Brenda rose Poole and her sister Betty but our family was not the closest and I can remember somthing about my mum being brought up by her nan which is why I say grandfather / great grandfather I have tried to attach a photo of my nan and my mum . regards Ken

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 August 19 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi olgit

I will hunt down the book I did for my sister in law and let you know if we have a connection. I did the book in 2012, I think. 

Claire
Wifes side    

Husbands side

Offline olgit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 August 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi This is the picture of my Nan taken in the early 1950's in rear gardens of the old barracks ,the way she is dressed is the only way I remember her in a pinnie and with that broach of a bird on .If you do find the book could you please let me have the title I read it years ago as my Mum had it but like a lot of things they go missing over the years. I do remember it was written by canon Gillespie as i remember his window walking her big red setter dogs around the village.

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 August 19 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think your Nan's name was Sophia Smith. She was born in 1865 and died in 1960. Second wife to George Poole.  They had three sons. No idea which one belongs to your mother as yet. I don't think it's Harry Poole born 1907, I only have two children for him...though just found another...The Poole family is quite large and it gets hard attaching the right kids to parents without certificates.

Your Nan also reminds me of my sister in law. I have a feeling if this is Sophia, then it is her nan as well.

Private Message me if you wish.

Claire
Wifes side    

Husbands side