Author Topic: Clonfeacle - COMPLETED  (Read 6891 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Clonfeacle - COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 15 May 05 13:38 BST (UK) »
crikey I have just spent a week in Clonfeacle in Tyrone  ruled that out and now i have found this one by chance  and I am going to have to at least take a look  not knowing a thing about Ireland  where is this Clonfeacle  in relation to  Ballinderry in Antrim
audrey

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Clonfeacle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 05 13:56 BST (UK) »
Audrey,

Clonfeacle is about 40 - 45 miles from Ballinderry. It is in the Moy locality. You get to Moy by joining the M1 at Lisburn (Exit 6) and leaving the M1 for Moy at Tamnamore (Exit 14). The distances shown are the distances from Moy (Softkey Journey Planner). I'm sorry I am unable to provide a map. I just noticed the has been posted in Co. Armagh. Audrey, please trust me. I'm doing my best to give you directions. Never mind the county in which this has been posted - it's on the Tyrone - Armagh border. Tell people you are looking for Clonfeacle near " the Moy ". Don't forget that " the ". It'll make you sound like a local.  All this chattering is causing me to miss out a bit. Just as well I checked.

Tamnamore (exit 14)   
Turn to M1;A4     4.5   
Turn to      B131  4.2   
Follow Rt   B106  3.7
Follow Rt   B106  3.5
Follow Lt   B106  3.1
Follow Lt   B106  2.5
Follow Rt   B106  2.3
Follow Rt   B106  2.1
Follow Rt   B106  1.4
Stay on     B106  1.0
Turn to      B106  0.1

If you are not somewhere close to Clonfeacle never mind.
That place across the road looks a good spot for lunch.
(The Journey Planner does not show townlands)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 05 14:03 BST (UK) »
I hope i don't appear an idiot hear but I am sure the Clofeacle i have spent the last week searching was Dunganan co Tyrone
the Clonfeacle I have just found is in Armah
audrey

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 05 14:42 BST (UK) »
Audrey, not sure if the following will help you visualise things a bit better:

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/townlands/index.cfm?fuseaction=TownlandsInCivil&civilparishid=365&civilparish=Clonfeacle&citycounty=Armagh

Clonfeacle, Armagh being 4 on the map and Clonfeacle, Tyrone being 15.

Then look at http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/townlands/index.cfm?fuseaction=TownlandsInCivil&civilparishid=2339&civilparish=Clonfeacle&citycounty=Tyrone to see how Clonfeacle, Tyrone (which is in the Poor Law Union of Dungannon) fits in with rest of Tyrone.

So, as you can see and as has already been mentioned by Christopher, the two Clonfeacles were adjacent to each (ie straddled the County border).

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 05 14:46 BST (UK) »
Audrey, how many Clonfeacles do you want ? The AA used to do excellent flip over maps.
No trouble I'll do my best to get another one, but it's hard work giving you the mileages.
Scotmum, who's doing the navigating here ? No, I'm not losing my temper  :-*
Those maps of yours have big black blobs on them. Have none of you found a better map ?

My source of reference here is seanruad IreAtlas Townland Data Base.

There's something I have not seen before here.
Clonfeacle is shown as a townland of xx acres. Any ideas about the xx

Townland -  Clonfeacle
County    -   Tyrone
Barony    -    Dungannon Middle
Civil Parish - Clonfeacle
PLU          -   Dungannon

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 May 05 14:56 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the following map, Audrey?

It is for Clonfeacle parish, Tyrone and shows the townlands within same.  Kilnacart is towards the top left hand side.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tyrone/parishes/tl/clonfeacle_tl.html

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 May 05 15:04 BST (UK) »
Audrey, do you have a laptop with Softkey's Journey Planner or something similar ?
It may not show townlands but it will show roads.
Is there a specific Church or graveyard in the townland of Clonfeacle that you are seeking ?

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 May 05 15:06 BST (UK) »
I wasn't 'navigating' Christopher, merely giving Audrey a few maps to look at in a general  historical context  ;).

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 May 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all for your help we have tried buying a map hear but we have had no luck first thing I buy when I get to Ireland  is a map and thats before I get in a taxi to take me to where i need to go the library hear has also been no help what so ever  I sent off to Ireland last week for some details not heard any thing back yet   I will plod on and see what I can find
audrey