Author Topic: Devon Square, Sauchie  (Read 2688 times)

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devon Square, Sauchie
« on: Tuesday 28 February 12 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am writing on behalf of my partner who is looking into her family tree. I hope that someone can help us out.

We have a copy of her great grandmother's wedding certificate which states that she was married (in 1885) in Devon Square, Sauchie. It doesn't give the name of a church, so do we assume a registry office or is there some other possibility that we haven't thought of.

Does anyone have the local knowledge?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Suds

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Devon Square, Sauchie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suds

Devon Square is likely to be the bride's address at the time of the marriage. Not all marriages took place in a church or manse and it was common to marry at bride's home in this period. Church weddings in the way we think of them today became more established from the early 20th Century onwards.

The certificate that you have will be from the statutory civil register of marriages available to view on SP.

Where were the bride and groom living before their marriage? The 1881 census shows multiple households at Devon Square (90 separate entries).

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Monica

Many thanks for your response, it is much appreciated.

The bride's name was Margaret Thommeny and her address is given as Devon Parish, Clackmannan.

The groom's name was Francis Hall and his address is given as Sauchie Parish. Clackmannan.

Regards

Suds

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suds  :)

Looks like Margaret Thomeny was born Torryburn Fife c1861 and was with her family at Scoonie Fife in 1881

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello ev

Thanks for your input.

You are probably correct, we haven't got that far yet. My partner has only just started and is working through various issues in later generations that conflict with her oral family history.

I think it's going to be an interesting journey.

Regards

Suds