Author Topic: smith/booth gypsies nottingham  (Read 54885 times)

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: smith/booth gypsies nottingham
« Reply #171 on: Monday 30 April 12 19:16 BST (UK) »
At Nottingham if you are on the computers and finches readers you can use pens but if you go into the area for originals  you can only use pencils.

Well I'm off now time for something to eat.  Had a busy day today my granddaughter came round and she started walking she 17 months old but was born 3 months early she tried walking over the last few weeks but today she was walking all over the place. ;D ;D ;D

Bye for now

Nottsgirl1 ;D

Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Monday 30 April 12 19:36 BST (UK) »
awwwwww :)

My grandson was around yesterday, he is 10 months old and just starting to stand up and trying to walk along holding the furniture.

It's lovely when they do things for the first time isn't it ;D
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi...

JJ was born 13 weeks early and was very late to sit up and walk...  Girls do a lot better when they're born early.

Still working through my info...  I have piles of it all over the front room floor - I'll tray and make more sense of it tomorrow...

Night all Kazi
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hiya both

How are you both doing with the research?...I didn't do much yesterday but have a few leads I want to investigate.
All being well I'm going to try to get to the records office later. I'll see if I can find anything on the gypsy Plumbs.

Jane x
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry not been able to do any yet this week.

Nottsgirl1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 15:38 BST (UK) »
Spent a couple of hours at the records office and found nothing on travelling families >:( all they had was a folder with a few names in and Plumb wasn't even in there, even though we know they lived in Leicestershire for a time.
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
That's a shame but to be honest I don't think that the Plumbs were really gypsies
but that Everett Plumb took up with a gypsy.

Offline kaziah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi You both...

This is where I think the Smith line our Gypsy Smith's come from and the Booth Family merge...

It's a bit odd, and I need to prove the connection, but feel sure it is out there...

James Smith
bn 1773 Clophill
(his parents James Smith 1735-1830, King Jem of the Gypsies and his wife Queen Jemima Smith 1747-1803 - His brother was Toby - Tobias Smith bn 1773 and Hung in 1792 for horse stealing)

married/partner of

Mary Smith
bn 1773
(her parents ?)

Their children...
Cinnamenta Smith     bn 1792  (mother of John Smith bn 1833)
Nehemiah Smith        bn 1794
Sarah Smith               bn 1796
Reservoy Smith          bn 1796-1860
James Smith Booth    bn 1773  (why was he given the surname Booth???)

James Smith Booth bn 1773 Married/partner of Sophia Smith bn 1793-1881
Their children
Cinementa Booth   bn 1829
Henry Booth           bn 1881
Amadine Booth       bn 1835-1892

These 3 are the known children of the above...   But I think they were also the parents of
Kesiah Booth bn 1839 Eaton who was the partner of Everett Plumb - all I need to do is prove it??   HELP NEEDED HERE PLEASE.

Kesiah Booth used throuout her life the surnames Booth/Plumb/Smith

I have a feeling that either Maria or Carolina/Selina who were the co-partners of John Smith bn 1833 may have been a sister of Kesiah Booth also...

Kazi
Smith, Plumb, Booth, Slater, Purdy, Clayton, Loveridge
Gray, Parker, Elliott, Wright, Towle, Wesseldine, Margot's, Bacon, Blankley, Goodwin, Stafford.

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 19:19 BST (UK) »
Absolam is def a gypsy name though and he was Nathan's brother.

I think there is still lots of questions to ask....

William had money and left his children some....What did Nathan do with his money?....on William's will he gave him £12 which is over £500 in their time and that was a lot of money in those days. Yet he ends up on poor relief and then gets convicted. Going to your point, maybe they were that poor Everett had no choce put to take up with gypsies.
Then their is the rumour in my family that we decended from gypsies...If it was just Everett than we didn't decend from them we were just related to one. My great aunt who is still alive is adament we came from them.
I have added issues...who was Joseph Elks?...Other than his marriage to Sarah Plumb I can find nothing. Where did he come from? Also how did his daughter end up in Greenwich Kent alone and in the  poorhouse with one child and one on the way?...There were lots of gypsies in Kent.
Frederick was born in Kent, married in Staffordshire and died in Leicestershire....yet his relatives lived in Nottinghamshire. His brother was born in Kent, had a child born in Cheshire and lived in Southampton, I don't know where he died. Then there is Fredericks wife, her parents were born in Norfolk, had children in Staffordshire and lived in Leicestershire....There is a reason why they all moved around.

So many questions...so few answers...lol......but that is how I like it, keeps my mind busy ;)
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight