Author Topic: William BOWDEN in Littleham by Bideford in 1814  (Read 8015 times)

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William BOWDEN in Littleham by Bideford in 1814
« on: Wednesday 29 February 12 17:51 GMT (UK) »
William is my ggggrandfather and my gggrandfather ,John, was born in Littleham 31 July 1814,bapt. 28 Aug.1814. A sister Elizabeth was born 1817. Parents given as William and Johanna. I have found a marriage of William Bowden and Johanna Crossman in Weare Gifford,nearby on 13 Oct.1808, There are so many William Bowdens on IGI,but none born so very nearby. I am trying to find out more about William, he is a farmer in 1842 when John got married for the first time, and then 'agent' in 1860 when John was married again. There is no guarantee that he was alive of course in either case.John by this time(after a career at sea as Master) is living in Swansea.
I can't find any other children to William and Johanna, but there should be some I imagine.
A Joanna Bowden was buried in Plympton St Mary in 1868 at the age of 82, therefore born about 1786,maybe this is she.
If anyone has access to Devon records, I would be grateful for any clues/help.
Thanks. Helen

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: William BOWDEN in Littleham by Bideford in 1814
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 20:45 GMT (UK) »
A William BOWDEN was buried at Littleham, aged 50, 1 Sept 1819. A William BOWDEN was baptised at Woolfardisworthy near Bideford 27 Aug 1769, son of Jeremiah & ELizabeth.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you.
Any sign of Johanna Bowden's death?
Any other children of William and Johanna,pre 1814?
I am very grateful to you.
Helen

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 12 07:50 GMT (UK) »
No sign of Joanna's death, but the one in Plympton district in 1868 was at Cornwood, and her burial took place on April 19th. Her abode was given as 'Oundle' and the vicar wrote her age as 83. She is not 'your' Johanna as the 1861 census shows her living at Houndle, Cornwood with her husband Thomas.

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 March 12 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help so far.
Assuming that my William Bowden is the son of Jeremiah and Elizabeth Colscott,(bapt.12 April 1734 Monkleigh) married Monkleigh 19 November 1758, I have had great fun tracing Elizabeth back to George Coulscot and Elesabeth Wolline,married Northam 27 Jan 1702,(via Grace Coulscot,bapt.1717 Northam) and I have found several siblings for Grace. Also William now has several brothers and sisters. However I can find no trace of the birth of his father,Jeremiah on family search. Can you help here,please?
I have also been trying to trace Johanna CROSSMAN and her parents. Family search gives the birth of several Crossmans to John and Frances(Luxon) in Weare Gifford at about the right time, but no Johanna,I'm afraid. There is one big gap - between Frances bapt. 25 Feb. 1776 and Emlyn bapt. March 1784, could Johanna lie here?
Again can you help me please?
Thanks,Helen

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 12 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, FamilySearch/IGI only covers about 60% of Devon records in some form/time frame. PArish registers are gradually being made available online - either through a commercial entity such as FindMyPast or via volunteers who have either transcribed records for the Devon FHS, or adopted parishes as part of the Online Parish Clerk project (OPCs). Weare Giffard has not yet been adopted and the DFHS baptism records are from 1813-1839.

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen
I have a few Crossman records and your marriage is entered on Devon FHS Cd as

Joannah CROSSMAN married William BOODEN on 1808 10 13 WEAR GIFFARD 'N' DFHS CD.
The 'N' on the entry indicates a note on the register i.e. status or perhaps home parish etc. Do you have Joanna Crossmans approx year of birth?

There are two other Crossman marriages in Weare Gifford
John CROSSMAN married Frances LUXTON on 1764 11 12 WEAR GIFFARD
Francis CROSSMAN married Henry BURDEN on 1807 11 04 WEAR GIFFARD
and one baptism
Thomas CROSSMAN  f= Thomas (LABOURER) m=Elizabeth bap 1825 05 08 WEAR GIFFARD

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 13:27 GMT (UK) »
No I only know of her from the master mariners certificate and family search citing her as my great great grandfather,John Bowden's mother. If the William Bowden who is buried in Littleham in 1819,aged 50, is the correct one, then he was born around 1769. No help here really. If John and Frances are the only Crossmans in Wear Giffard then she prob. belongs to them!!
Thanks for your thoughts
Helen

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Devon FHS offer an excellent service (not expensive) where they will extract all the information from their records for a particular name
http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/indexes.htm
They may be able to give you the information contained on Joanna marriage. I may really help so you can be sure.

On the IGI John and Frances had six children bapt Weare Gifford 1765-1884 but not a daughter Johanna.

It has been suggested that Joanna who married William Bowden in in my tree bapt 1785 in Tavistock. Her baptism would be about right and there is no burial for Johanna.  But Weare Gifford seems a way from Tavistock!
It was also suggested that William BOWDEN was bap 26 Mar 1787 Winkleigh Devon f=John m= Elizabeth ALFORD.