Author Topic: Minnie Todd from Ashington England to Aukland New Zealand  (Read 11922 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie Todd from Ashington England to Aukland New Zealand
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 03 March 12 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the tree, the eldest daughter Margaret TODD came to NZ as well. She is the one who married David CARNAHAN.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 03 March 12 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patty

Glad you're having some luck in finding information.

Yes, there's a "family tree" ... I gave you the link for that in an earlier posting.   :)

I think it would be a good idea for you to get in contact with the tree owner, as it does appear there is further detail to be had (which hasn't neccessarily been added yet to the online tree.)

Wonderful too of course that there is a photo available for Margaret TODD (nee FOSTER).   ;)

~  Lu

Offline Patty25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 March 12 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craig

I've been searching for Robert re. emigration. It looks as though you found him. Thanks for that. It would seem he was their only son, too! Well that's that wont have to search for him anymore  :( Amazing how emotional you get with all of this!

I've also just found out that my grandmother's name was Wilhelmina Minnie or maybe the Minnie is just the short version of Wilhelmina. I'm going to search the emigration site for a Wilhemina Todd.

There is also a link to a family in New Zealand, on Ancestry, and I have just sent them a message. I'm sure they'll be able to fill in some, hopefuly many, gaps.

Ian see you have just posted. Margaret emigrated too and she is the link to the Carnahans! Great. I was wondering why my great grandmother was buried with them. Do you think Margaret's husband David was the former husband / father of poor Eva and Alexander?

Lucy I have just sent them a message. Thanks for the help. Can you believe there's a photograph there of Mary and my great grandmother? My mother looked a bit like her.

It would seem that the whole family did emigrate to new Zealand after all: Mother, Margaret, Charlotte, Sarah, Mary and Minnie. Minnie seems to have been the only one who returned to the UK.

These sites are fabulous  :) I can't believe what I'm finding out. It's just wonderful  :) I can't thank you all enough  :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 March 12 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Margaret TODD (nee FOSTER) - d. 1937 -- burial at Anderson's Bay Cemetery, Dunedin :

Margaret TODD (d/o Margaret Foster and John Todd) married David CARNAHAN (a widower) in 1920.

David CARNAHAN's first wife was Eva Mary DUNN* (m. 1911) and she died in 1919.
[* Note:   The online Tree shows first wife (incorrectly) as "Evelyn Mary DUNNE".  She appears to have been the "Eva Mary DUNN b. 1893 to Sarah Elizabeth and William Logan DUNN.]

So, as odd as it may seem, Margaret TODD (d. 1937) shares a plot at Anderson's Bay with Eva Mary CARNAHAN (and child) - Eva being the 1st wife of Margaret TODD's daughter, Margaret CARNAHAN's husband, David.   (Confused ?  ;D )

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 03 March 12 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Patty

re:   Sarah TODD (COOPER / CAMERON)

... Sarah lived to a ripe age (87) ... but had moved away from the Otago area to Westland (maybe to live with one of her children) ?

At the following link you can find a photo of her headstone (which includes the names of her children - some of whom may still be living).

http://www.westlanddc.govt.nz/index.cfm/1,299,0,0,htm/Online-Services

>> click on "Cemetery database" link

[CAMERON - Sarah - d. 2 March 1982 - born Bedlington, Eng. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 03 March 12 01:10 GMT (UK) »

Does anyone have any idea about the information I noticed on my mother's birth certificate?: Parents (3) previous issue of existing marriage (3b) dead - number each sex - M - F.

Hi Patty

Unless there is anything (hand)-written in the columns underneath these headings, then you don't need to worry about it.

[These headings on the birth cert. simply make provision for recording "previous children born within the marriage", "noting if they are deceased" (at time of their next siblings' birth registration), and whether previous children are "male or female". ]

~  Lu

Offline Patty25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 March 12 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Lucy

It seems as though it is all coming together now! Great grandmother buried with her son-in-laws first wife and child. Maybe she lived with them, her oldest daughter? I don't know but I'm glad they all lie together.

And Sarah who seemed to have had so much bad luck had a long life and six children  :) It's just amazing that I can view her headstone from here: Scotland.

No issue with the data on the birth certificate.

I've learned so much about my family (ancestors) in the last few days. I can hardly believe it. I just wish that my grandmother, Minnie, had stayed in New Zealand with her family. She came home thinking she would see more of her husband and that wasn't to be. He had the child, my mother, removed from her which was terrible for them both and bad as that was he then, instead of handing her over to one of his many sisters, 'gave' her to a stranger (to his family). She never saw either parent again until she was in her early 20's (1952). My mother never knew any of the Todds or members of her father's family: the Patersons. She was brought up as an only child and I can see she had many relatives such as cousins on both sides.

It's after 1am here so I'm off to bed. I'll continue the search tomorrow.

Once again many thanks to all who have spent so much time helping me.

Patty

Offline mullaloo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 12 March 12 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am a grand daughter of Sarah (Todd/Cooper) Cameron
I was born Lesley Sharron Cameron in Dunedin NZ to Sarah's second son Gordon.
There are still 3 of Sarah's children living.
One of my uncles visited Minnie in Scotland (in Rothsey) many years ago and to my knowledge she had a son Jamie.
I remember meeting Aunty Charlotte (Cooper) and Aunty Mag and Uncle Dave (Carnahan) when I was a little girl.
To my knowledge they were all born in or around Morpeth. Robert died when he was little (I believe he fell down the stairs)

Please ask what you want and I will try and fill you in

Sharron

Offline Patty25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharron

It's great to hear from you  :)

I've been so busy between one thing and another but mostly responding to people who have been sending me so much information. Everyone has been so kind and helpful.

As the information comes in I find there are many more unanswered questions to deal with. Some of it relates to people who may be alive, so I'll have to be careful.

Sharron I wonder if you could help me find out why Minnie returned to the UK? Something has come up and that is that her father may have taken her from her mother in New Zealand and then Minnie left New Zealand to find her. There is also the question of my mother having a brother. Would any of your family members know anything about that and if so what happened to him?

I've found out that my grandmother, Minnie Todd, married again and had a family. Could this child Jamie relate to her second marriage / partnership? Maybe your Uncle could put a date to his visit to Rothesay?

More than anything I am desperate to know what happened that caused my mother and her mother to be separated. Would your Uncle / family members have any knowledge of that? If there is anything that could hurt anyone still living maybe we could communicate by PM or by e-mail. I say this as I've come across some information that's not been verified but if it were could cause upset.

I see Robert may have died from a fall. That must have been terrible for them; their only son  :(

Thanks for taking the time to contact me Sharron.

Best wishes to all.

Patty