Author Topic: Howarth  (Read 2249 times)

Offline doug1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Howarth
« on: Thursday 01 March 12 07:38 GMT (UK) »
  hello, my name is doug and i am researthing the howarth's from lanscashire thomas 'lanky tom as he was known, it
say's his father's name ia james and i have obtained a copy of his death certifacte and it say's his fathers name is
    william? can any one help me please if possible?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Howarth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 12 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doug

Welcome to rootschat  :)

Could you please give us a bit more information on Thomas Howarth.  When/where did he die and how old was he.  Was he married if so to whom.
Any idea where the family were living. In fact as much information as you think may be useful but no living people please.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 12 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Howarth and its variants are extremely common in Lancashire. Think "Smith" and "Jones".

As much info as you can provide would be helpful.
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline jellybeans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 12 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doug,
Welcome to Rootschat. Was your Thomas born c1803 Lancashire, died 1865 Bathurst Australia? Was he married to 1st Elizabeth Redfern and 2nd Martha Pearson Post?  If so, his parents were James Howarth and Betty Collinge.
If you look on Ancestry.com.au you will find quite a few people researching this Thomas who also was known as Lanky Tom.
Regards,
Jelly Beans
Lancashire, England: Barlow, Butterworth, Clegg,  Lord, Howarth, Morris, Peak, Pickup, Walker, Wilkinson.
Ayrshire Scotland: Dyet, Irvine.
Cornwall England: Cock.
Wexford Ireland:  Murphy.

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 March 12 18:21 GMT (UK) »
jellybeans,
I have a James Howarth marrying a Mary Collinge in Prestwich, Lancashire in 1815.  He was born in circa.1795.   Their daughter,  Harriet,  born 1817,  was married to James Ogden in 1841 and their issue became the direct family of my OHs mother.
It seems that this Howarth family had their roots in Goodshawe, Nr. Bacup, Lancashire and that James Howarth's father was Robert Howarth and his father was Deo (?) Howarth.

Moderator comment: Further posts split into separate topic and moved to Devon: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=592294.msg4428410#msg4428410

Offline Jarmo Peltola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 May 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
Cotton Mill expert James Howarth, who came to Finland in June 1841, with wife and three children. They got three children and also buried three during their stay 1841-1845 in Tampere (Tammerfors, Swedish form), where James acted as a technical manager in Finlayson & Co:s Cotton Mill, at first on the side of spinning department and then later as a technical supervisor of whole mill.

One of children I know by name, Francis, was born before they moved to Finland (1839 or 1840). He died 20.9.1844, when he was four year old.

So, do anyone know anything about James and his family?