Author Topic: Defence Medal (UK) WW 2  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Garrod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Defence Medal (UK) WW 2
« on: Thursday 01 March 12 15:35 GMT (UK) »
My Granfather served with both the Auxiliary Fire Service and the National Fire Service in Liverpool during the Second World War. He served for approximately 6 years and therefore, he met the medal entitlement criteria.

I have tried the MOD Medal Office but they could not help as they only issue campaign medals. I have been advised that Defence Medals issued to civilians, were probably issued at County level and that the Civil Contingencies Secretariat may be able to help.

Would anyone know where to get the information from to confirm whether he was infact issued with the Defence Medal.

Thanks
Allwood of Cheshire, Derbyshire, Flintshire and Shropshire. Pilsbury of Staffordshire and Shropshire. Andrews of Lincolnshire, Lancashire and Cumbria. Griffith of Caernarvonshire. Tait of Moffat and Dumfries

Offline demented

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Defence Medal (UK) WW 2
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 12 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garrod
Not sure if I can be of much help but my mother was in the women's auxilliary fire service in Glasgow during WW2. I made enquiries at the Michell Library in Glasgow which has a brilliant genealogy section and great archives. According to them records were kept by local authorities. In my mother's case I had a picture of her company with a number on it. However many records had been lost and we couldn't trace her in those available in the archives.
Maybe you have a similar facility in Liverpool you could try.
 Good luck with your search.
Margaret

Offline Garrod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 12 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Margaret. I will try the records office at Liverpool.
Allwood of Cheshire, Derbyshire, Flintshire and Shropshire. Pilsbury of Staffordshire and Shropshire. Andrews of Lincolnshire, Lancashire and Cumbria. Griffith of Caernarvonshire. Tait of Moffat and Dumfries

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 12 14:19 BST (UK) »
Garrod,

Have you tried the National Archives or the Local Council Records?

My Great Grandfather was also awarded the Defence Medal for his work during the War in London, what for I don't know I can't find him on the Hackney Council list. Maybe because of his previous service it could have been something on a national basis, I'm still looking.

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline Garrod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
David

Thanks for your reply. I have contacted both the Liverpool Records Office & The Liverpool Library. As they have some information regarding the Nation Fire Service, including Fire Service Record Cards. They don't seem to think that there is a Council List nor a County list but will look for me. They seem to think that any records would have been lost/destroyed as they would have been no need to keep them after the war. If I do get any information I will let you know.

Chris