Author Topic: Netley Military Cemetery Southampton  (Read 1477 times)

Offline 04121805

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Netley Military Cemetery Southampton
« on: Friday 02 March 12 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone knows whether this cemetery is open to the public. I cannot visit it myself but wondering if anyone nearby could look up a grave for Stanley Whitehead. He died on 7/7/1916 and his regimental number was 6006. He died of wounds suffered in France/Flanders. A photo would be most welcome my mother is 80 and has long wondered where this uncle was laid to rest. Thanks in advance

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Netley Military Cemetery Southampton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 March 12 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you have a look at the website War Graves Photographic Project you will see that there is a photograph of Stanley's grave. It also gives details of how you can purchase a copy of the photograph.

http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=1706487

JJ

Offline 04121805

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 March 12 18:44 GMT (UK) »
wow!! this is the first time i have ever asked for help on here. What a fabulous result thankyou so much

Offline moortowns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 June 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just read your post. I live near to the cemetary which was behind the Royal Voctoria Hospital in Netley overlooking the Solent. There was a pier and it was where wounded military were brought as the first place of nursing care.
There was a railway line dedicated to the hospital to transport patients elsewhere.
Unfortunately your relative did not survive his wounds and is laid to rest behind the hospital building areas.
The hospital was demolished in the 1960's - "why"!! But there is a book called Spike Island which recalls the history of the Royal Victoria Hospital and the comings and goings.

If you would like some photos of the area, the gravestone, etc, private message me and I will take some digital "snaps"
Regards
Moortown