Author Topic: The Will of Admiral Arthur Phillip  (Read 16144 times)

Offline RobinBClay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Will of Admiral Arthur Phillip
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 13:26 GMT (UK) »
There's more on Wikipedia - on it I added a Link to here.  And I posted a Link to Wikipedia previously; here it is again -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Phillip

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I've seen it. I don't recognise the portrait in uniform, rank etc.. Don't seem to be able to find an image as an admiral.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline RobinBClay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 13:53 GMT (UK) »
It's a pity that Arthur Phillips does not appear in that splemdid Magnum Opus, https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Naval_Biographical_Dictionary/Frontispiece
...but that is a biography of every Royal Navy Officer alive in 1849.  Our Arthur died in 1814.

Offline RobinClay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 22 February 19 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I have now created a WebSite for this topic; it is

http://www.spanglefish.com/admiralarthurphillip

Thank you, all, very much indeed, for all your help so freely given.

It's been fun - *I* have enjoyed it - and I hope you have too !
Researching:-   CLAY       THORNEWILL         POWELL         SOAMES

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 22 February 19 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I have now created a WebSite for this topic; it is

http://www.spanglefish.com/admiralarthurphillip

A minor quibble on wording. Deciphering is only one section of RootsChat. It is a family history help forum. Can you rephrase it? We don't want readers of your website to get the wrong idea. An unintended consequence might be a deluge of manuscripts. Skilled decipherers on here are few in number; some of the rest of us just have a go in between helping to solve FH queries and doing other stuff. Another consequence may be professional transcribers thinking we are doing them out of work. RootsChatters normally transcribe snippets or a page of a document. Occasionally it's more than one page.
What do others think? Is it a matter for a Moderator?
Cowban

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 22 February 19 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Heartily Agree Maiden Stone.

Skilled decipherers on here are few in number; some of the rest of us just have a go in between helping to solve FH queries and doing other stuff.

This website has many other boards, mostly to do with Family History . . and the decipherers don't want to be inundated with long transcriptions!

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 22 February 19 04:51 GMT (UK) »
May I commend you on that fine Wiki article.  I am always interested in how the foundation documents of our Australian Democracy are viewed, reviewed, dissected, re-constructed, analysed, and etc, all from various aspects.  I read you cited Cable v Sinclair and the Macquarie University Decisions of the Superior Courts, and you gave the live link to the digital image of that file held at the NSW Archives … so may I side track, just a tad…

On 1 July 1988 I was among those in the public gallery of the NSW Supreme Court for a ceremony led by the then NSW President of the Appeals Court honouring two hundred years since that first civil case, significant for the applicant was a) a female and b) a convicted person, still under the sentence of a civil court.   

Michael Kirby, retired Justice of the High Court of Australia  is famous in his own right, and has his own website.   May I share https://www.michaelkirby.com.au/   click through to Speeches,   Go to Volume 19, of 1988, and click on the pdf for Item 738 … it is the Statement by the President on the 200th Anniversary of the First Civil Court Hearing In Australia.   Five pages …

Here :  https://www.michaelkirby.com.au/images/stories/speeches/1980s/vol19/738-Statement_by_the_President_on_the_200th_Anniversary_of_the_First_Civil_Court_Hearing_in_Aus.pdf

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 22 February 19 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Heartily Agree Maiden Stone.

Skilled decipherers on here are few in number; some of the rest of us just have a go in between helping to solve FH queries and doing other stuff.

This website has many other boards, mostly to do with Family History . . and the decipherers don't want to be inundated with long transcriptions!

Wiggy

Agree.  ;D