Author Topic: Marriae look-up, please!  (Read 3063 times)

Offline charwatkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriae look-up, please!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 March 12 00:05 GMT (UK) »
I did find a "Moses" Bates married in 1871 but could not find a Leah Blane or Blain, etc. to match. Without seeing this Moses' record, you would not know for sure or not... if there had been an error leaving her out or mistranscription of her name all together.
Watkins:
Llanbeder, Brecon - Llantillo Crosseney, Monmouth
Bates: Longney, Glouc
Brain: Little Dean, Glouc
Sykes: Herforshire - Llanbedr, Brecon

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 March 12 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Not that one I'm afraid - he married Ann Maria Jordan (marriage is on familysearch).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charwatkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 March 12 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking that one out... I am still hopeful the will be a record somewhere. I keep thinking it is tied in with a transcription error or something along that line!

I found them yesterday on a 1892 NY State census with the 3 of the 4 children. Eldest was married the year before & she is on same census w/her husband.

It is interesting how these state census records help give additional information. Normally, they were on the year ending in "5" so I was suprised to find the 189"2" one.  Not all state census records are as detailed as federal but the NY ones are.  This one, in particular, is helpful as the 1890 Federal census records were destroyed in a fire at the National archive. It helped 'fill the gap' for me, by giving valuable information on the youngest child born to this family, as well as the question of why the mother (& youngest child) was not on the passenger list when the others immigrated.

Seems that, yes... child #4 was born in England and mother came to the States 1 year after father. I may re-post this information on a different thread. For those who have relatives that left Europe, it may be a helpful hint to to know of these state records.
Watkins:

Offline charwatkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look-up, please!
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I think her name may have been "Brain"
I was able to get a copy of their daughter's death certificate. It said her mother's name was Leah BRAIN... so I've been on a wild goose chase for about fifteen years with the "Blane/Blain" name!

I've not been able to find a Leah Brain & Moses Bates marriage

There is one last thing... if this name doesn't work.

As mentioned, Moses came across with the three elder children in 1883.... Have the passenger list. Then, Leah followed a little over a year later. Most likey was expecting a child (Frances) and had to wait for her to be old enough to travel. I DID find a Leah Brain & infant who immigrated in 1884... could this be the key... they never really married? I was reading on the Gov Registry site that it was common....

Is this true? Would they have considered themselves "Married" if they weren't legally so? Why would they not have married? Records are there for both sets of parents... Guess, I'm learning that folks had a different outlook on these things than my parents led me to believe... and the 60's didn't really corrupt us after all!

And William was an "S" and not a "T"... seems his middle name was "Smith" after Moses' mother... Mary Ann Smith.
Watkins: