Author Topic: Walter Samways & Mary Ellen Paull, Netherbury  (Read 2472 times)

Offline mele1949m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Samways & Mary Ellen Paull, Netherbury
« on: Sunday 04 March 12 04:35 GMT (UK) »
 Hello Everyone!  I am researching my brother-in-law's family for him.  But, I have hit a wall with his great grandmother Mary Ellen Paull b. Oct 1855 in Netherbury to George Paull and Susan(na) Poor. 
 She had a daughter Ella Edgell Paull in 1878.  Mary Ellen worked as a servant in Bournemouth in 1878 (from Ella's birth cert) and also in the 1881 census.
The problem is, Mary Ellen supposedly married a WALTER SAMWAYS, sometime after 1881, but there is no record of this marriage, nor can I find any records of WALTER.
 On the birth record of their daughter Florence May Samways b. 1884 in Cardiff, Wales, her father is WALTER SANWAYS. (probably just a spelling error).
 On their son Percy's birth cert, b. 23 May 1889 in Bedminster, his father was WALTER JOHN SAMWAYS and his mother was Ellen Mary Samways.
 On Percy's Marriage cert, father is WILLIAM SAMWAYS, Confectioner Journeyman, but this is different from Percy's birth cert. On daughter Florence's marriage cert (1908), it was WALTER SAMWAYS, confectioner (deceased).
 Mary Ellen married again in 1894 to Herbert Osborne and moved to Kent, so I assume WALTER must have died before that.
 I have an ancestry membership and have tried everything I can think of with no luck.  Have also been searching on the Dorset OPC site, but considering the children were born outside of Dorset, the marriage may have taken place elsewhere, too.
If anyone can help, I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
Thank you.
Mele

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Samways & Mary Ellen Paull, Netherbury
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 12 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I can't really help you, but there is a Walter Samways ,43, baker, b Wimborne, Dorset living in London in 1881. There is at least a connection with Dorset and baking/confectionery!

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mele1949m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the warm welcome, Richard.  I thought I had replied to you, but it didn't show up on the site, so I'll try again.  I did find the record you mention, and have it on my 'possible' list.  So thanks for the prompt reply.  I'm going to keep looking and hoping someone out there has some information or another clue.
Mele

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Mele,

Have you tried Familysearch.org (free service)

There are records of Paul (l) family in Nertherbury including a couple of marriages.  At least it gives you another search area
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 18:24 BST (UK) »
Have you found any of Ella, Florence, Percy, Mary or Walter in 1891?

In both 1881 and 1901 Ella's birthplace is Springb(o)urn in Hampshire, but the only Ella in 1891 with that place of birth is a different one, and none of the other Ella's seems to match.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mele1949m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have lots of info on Ella, Florence, Percy and Mary before and after 1891, birth, baptism, marriage and census records. Mary marries again in 1894 to Herbert Osborne from Kent and her and the kids move to Kent.  In fact, I have tracked down every other member of Mary's family and followed her children right through to their deaths.  It is 1891 and Mary and Walter's marriage that are just no where to be found.  I did try FamilySearch but again, nothing!  I have a couple of contacts that are descendants of Mary and her children, and no one has any real record of their marriage or indeed, of Walter.  I suppose Mary could have made him up...Ella seems to have been illegitimate, so it's entirely possible; but it does seem strange that all of them are missing from the 1891 census while the rest of Mary's siblings and parents are not.

Thank you so much for you responses, everyone...perhaps someone will eventually run across these folks at a future date.

Mele

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 April 22 18:35 BST (UK) »
Maybe I can help you. I am also looking into my Samways ancestry from Netherbury. I have a few things printed out that I can check names on, and possibly give you another tidbit of information.

Offline TrevWW

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 November 23 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Trying to find the parents of the same Walter Samways.  Have hit a constant number of brick walls.
Any information on Walter would be greatly appreciated.
Trevor