Author Topic: Birth Look-up please. DYER, 1825.  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Look-up please. DYER, 1825.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 December 12 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello kerryb,

Many Thanks for your interest.

I've just looked out the Marriage Cert between Mary Kenward, (Née Pattenden) and William Dyer; which took place on the 3rd August 1846 in the Parish of HORNE, Registration District of Godstone. It says that both William Dyer and Mary Kenward are resident in the Parish of HORNE. William Dyer's Occupation is Agricultural Labourer.

William and Mary Dyer's son William Dyer, (my G/G/Grandfather) was born in Lingfield in 1847.

I am assuming that as William Dyer, (Senior) is an Agricultural Labourer, that he would'nt have moved far from where he was born.

Thats why I was looking in Godstone/Horne/Lingfield/East Grinstead, - but perhaps I should look further afield?

(Horne is a village and civil parish in the District of Tandridge in Surrey, England. The parish includes the hamlet of Newchapel, and has a population of 805.[1] The parish is located on the A22 road, 4.6 miles (7.4 km) east of Horley, 4.2 miles (6.8 km) west of Lingfield, 8.0 miles (12.9 km) south west of Oxted, and 22.0 miles (35.4 km) south of Kingston upon Thames)

Family rumour has it that William Dyer, (the younger) was a Catholic... but William Dyer (Senior) and Mary Kenward were married in a Church of England Church. (And the Pattendens all seem to have been Church of England too).

I am very puzzled as to why I can't find any record of William Dyer, (Senior's) Birth or Baptism...

Romilly. ::) ::) ::)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 December 12 07:50 GMT (UK) »

I'm not sure whether this Baptism is a possibility...?

William Dyer, Baptism 23 Jul 1820
Father's Name:    William Dyer
Mother's Name:    Elizabeth Dyer
Parish or Poor Law Union:    Reigate St Mary Magdalene
County:    Surrey
Register Type:    Bishop's Transcript.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 December 12 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly

I know your problem.  I have ancestors from Lingfield and I have found family members baptised or married in East Grinstead, Crawley, Croydon etc etc.  Even though they were Ag Labs too they did do a fair bit of travelling.

The Reigate one could be a good possibility.  I guess you need to check to find them on census returns, see if there were any siblings and follow them through, it might help.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 December 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Just found the above baptism on the Ancestry site and to add: Father's occupation - Labourer.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 December 12 16:42 GMT (UK) »

Hi Kerry,

Yes...that part of the country can be problematic, especially as boundaries seem to change frequently between Surrey and Sussex:-(

I've tried following that one through the Censuses, and he seems to stay in Reigate though.

I'm really struggling with this chap!!

Romilly, ::) ::)
Researching:

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 December 12 17:15 GMT (UK) »
If he hasn't been found in 1851, where did the year of birth of 1825 come from? Was he helpful by having an age on his marriage cert?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 December 12 17:22 GMT (UK) »
If he hasn't been found in 1851, where did the year of birth of 1825 come from? Was he helpful by having an age on his marriage cert?

On the Marriage Cert, (for his Marriage to Mary, - then Kenward) both Mary and William are shown as being 'of full age'. Mary was born in Withyham, Sussex in 1826. William Dyer, (Senior's ) Birth Date is an Approximation, - (guess).

Also... on the 1841 Census, there are 3 William Dyers born in Surrey. One in 1821, two in 1826, in respectively, Putney, Lambeth and Croydon.

Romilly :)
Researching:

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 December 12 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Romilly

I have just found something interesting on the Sussex Family History Group website which I went back to

Ann Dyer baptised on 30 May 1852
Father George Homan
Mother Mary Dyer
Notes A baseborn child of Mary wife of William DYER living in adultery with George HOMAN

This is at East Grinstead, St Swithun, so William may not be dead in 1852.  :o :o

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 December 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a corresponding baptism for Ann Homan, same day, same details.

Kerry