Author Topic: Heaney Family of Carrickrovaddy/Dorsey MacDonald  (Read 5276 times)

Offline bkworm10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heaney Family of Carrickrovaddy/Dorsey MacDonald
« on: Sunday 04 March 12 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I've recently found the names of my husband's g-g-grandparents and where they were from in County Armagh.  Their names are Patrick Heaney and Mary Murphy.  They were born around 1820/1830 and I think I found them still living in the 1901 and 1911 Ireland censuses.  I also found some of their children listed online at the LDS site, but not my husband's g-grandfather Peter Heaney, who was born in July 1870 and came to the US in 1888.  I would like to order microfilm from the LDS and see if I can find Peter Heaney's birth as well as the births of other children (they apparently had 9 and 7 were still living in 1901) and if I get lucky, the marriage record of Patrick and Mary.  I found that Newtownhamilton has their church records on microfilm from the LDS site and I was wondering if that is where I would find the births/baptisms.  I was able to find Ann/Anne (two of them, so one must have died young), Margaret, and Patrick's (who also immigrated to the US) birth/baptism online at the LDS site.  They list Newtownhamilton as where the christening took place (they were Catholic).

Also, I would love to try and make contact with Heaney's (and possibly Murphys) that are still living in the Newtownhamilton area of Ireland today.  Does anyone know how I can do that?

Thank you!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Heaney Family of Carrickrovaddy/Dorsey MacDonald
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 12 21:06 GMT (UK) »
"I also found some of their children listed online at the LDS site, but not my husband's g-grandfather Peter Heaney, who was born in July 1870"
The extracted Irish births on LDS site is not complete for the years listed. If you check the civil registration index and find Peter's details you can then oder the birth certificate.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bkworm10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 12 22:14 GMT (UK) »
OK, thanks.  When I check for Peter Heaney in the timeframe of 1865-1870, I find two and it appears as though the one born in 1869 died.  So how would I go about ordering the birth record?  I live in the US. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 12 23:20 GMT (UK) »
See here for details on Irish birth certificates, how to order them, etc.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433041.0.html

"I find two and it appears as though the one born in 1869 died."
I find 2 possible births-
Peter Heeney 1868 Newry registration district volume 16 page 734
Peter Heaney 1869 Newry registration district volume 1 page 896

and 1 death:
Peter Heaney, age 2, 1871 Newry volume 6 page 584.

It's just as likely that the death registration could be for the child born 1868- depending on dates of birth and date of death either could be this child.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 12 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   One of the Newry children was Peter Heeney, born 3 Dec 1868 to John Heeney and Mary Finigan. The birth was registered in Meigh, District of Newry.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline bkworm10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 12 12:48 GMT (UK) »
OK, thank you!  That is definitely the wrong Peter.   Is it possible he's not in the civil registration index?  I really doubt he's the one born in 1869 as his brother Patrick was born in Feb, 1869 and I'm pretty sure Peter is older than Patrick.  Also, all the children I found so far have Newtownhamilton as the Christening place or CrossMaglen as the birthplace.  Any ideas on how I can locate his birth?  Thanks!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 12 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births began in 1864 but some early births were not registered. However, Peter could have been registered as 'male' (without Christian name chosen), under a different Christian name (parents sometimes change their minds or mistakes do happen), or mis-indexed in/omitted from the registration index.

Bear in mind that the place listed in the registration indexes is the registration district NOT the townland.  Crossmaglen is in the Poor Law Union/registration district of Castleblayney and this is what will appear in the index (you didn't tell us the place earlier).

This is the closest match I can find-
Birth: Patrick Heaney 1873 Castleblaney, volume 1 page 502

Offline bkworm10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 March 12 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Crossmaglen is on one of his sister's birth's in 1864 (Anne Heeney, birth date 29 Feb 1864, parents Patrick Heeney, Mary Murphy). It says Birthplace is Crossmaglen, Armagh, Ireland.  I really don't know where Peter was born - I'm guessing Dorsey MacDonald because that is what Patrick Haney (Peter's brother) put down on the ship record in 1900.  He wrote Dorsey and underneath it says Carrickrovaddy.  But when I look up the children's birth's that I can find at the LDS site, they all say Newtownhamilton or in the case of Anne, Crossmaglen.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 March 12 15:30 GMT (UK) »
See  http://www.thecore.com/seanruad to find details on townlands in Ireland (be sure to change default setting from exact match)- the PLU (Poor Law Union) will be the registration district.

Carrickrovaddy (also known as Dorsy (Macdonald)) is in Castleblayney PLU.