Author Topic: George Strong Records  (Read 11051 times)

Offline gnorts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Strong Records
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 April 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
Unclejohn; Thanks for the info. William (b1801) is our ggg grandfather, George (b1836) is my gg grandfather, married Fanny Keswick one of their children, George, the policeman is my g grandfather. He married Rebecca Reynard in Leeds in 1903 and had my grandfather in Dec 1903. Oops i smell a shotgun wedding. George, from what I heard was killed in a riot in 1915, at age 41 and was was buried beside his mother, Fanny, in New Wortley cemetary in Leeds. George (b1836) died in 1920 in Leeds. My g grandmother and grandfather moved to Toronto in 1917 when he was 14. He married my grandmother, Martha Baker in 1930 in Toronto, and had only one child, my father, William in 1931. I am really if there is any info on our gggg grandfather and gggg grandmother, William parents. Thanks                                                                                                                     Jim             

Offline unclejohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 April 12 02:47 BST (UK) »
Jim,
Linda is quite right - it is difficult to get accurate records of BMD in England prior to 1837 when Civil Records began.
However it is far from impossible. Try going to the website www.familysearch.org which is maintained by the Church
of Latter Day Saints in Utah. They have had a host of volunteers and church members taking details from parish
Records and putting them on line. The Priestman family (Mary's antecedents) I have managed to trace back to 1676
farming at Deer Rudding in Cumberland. You don't say in what part of Canada but if you go into the website above and click on
FamilySearchCentres it will give you a map of all the centres in Canada and USA. You can use all the facilities of your
nearest centre with no religious pressure at all. I have used the one here in Melbourne and they go to such trouble
as getting microfiche and microfilms from Utah for just $5 for three months usage. Give it a try and let me know what you
think. I'll get my thoughts in order and be in touch again soon
I'll close for now as I have to prepare for a radio program I do on a local Community Radio Station on Monday afternoon
Best Wishes for a Happy Easter
John

Offline gnorts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 April 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
John, than you for the info on the web site. I will definitely check it out. By the way I live in Milton, Ontario Canada. Thanks again and have a Happy Easter.                                                                                                                     Jim   

Offline gnorts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 April 12 13:21 BST (UK) »
John; Sorry, I forgot it's Monday there already. Thanks

Offline unclejohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 April 12 06:55 BST (UK) »
Jim
There are two LDS Family History Centres in your vicinity.
Brampton 10062 Bramalea Rd  Phone 905 799 3214
Hours Tue - Fri 12 Noon - 4:00pm and Wed 7:00pm - 9:00pm also   Sat 10:00am - 1:00pm

Mississauga  95 Melbert Rd Etobicoke    Phone 416 621 4607
Hours Tue/Wed 1:00pm - 4:00pm Thu 8:30pm - 9:30pm Sat 9:30am - 12:30pm

But as I said it is only necessary to go in if you are wanting to view documents they have sourced on your behalf from Utah. All other research you can do on line
John

Offline gnorts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 22:12 BST (UK) »
John, thanks. I know the one in Melbert Rd. in Etobicoke. I grew up there in the 60's&70's

Offline unclejohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 01:04 BST (UK) »
Jim,
Are you interested in other members of the Strong family who emigrated to Canada or are you only wanting
to find out about George and his direct descendants?
John

Offline gnorts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 23:20 BST (UK) »
John;
I'm really curious ahout William's(b1801) parent and grandparents, but you have tweeked my interest about other Strongs that are related and moved to Canada. Thanks,Jim

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi gnorts/unclejohn,

WM Strong Christened 07 June 1801, Mungrisdale, Cumberland
Parents WILLIAM/NANCY
Siblings;
JOHN 10 April 1793
JONATHAN 05 April 1795
THOS 20 June 1797
JOSEPH 06 May 1804
ELIZABETH 17 Nov 1806
HENRY 20 April 1810 (Mother Nancy Greenwood)
MARY 12 July 1813

All on Familysearch, some in Mungrisdale, others Caldrbeck.
Some have Mother as Greenwood some just Nancy

Mungrisdale is a Township in the Parish/Chapelry of Greystoke;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CUL/Mungrisdale/index.html

William STRONG Married Ann GREENWOOD, Oct 1792, Caldbeck (2 dates on Family search 07 Oct and 18 Oct?)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)