Author Topic: Swiss/French records  (Read 1404 times)

Offline porkypie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Swiss/French records
« on: Monday 05 March 12 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for advice/help with some European ancestors

Adelaide Seleviere born in France in 1848
Charles Briner born in Switzerland in 1841

They were in London, married and having children by 1867 but i can find no record of any marriage in the UK.

From the 1861 census i know that Charles Briner was lodging in London as a 20 year old .

I am assuming they may have got married in Europe, but do not have the access to this section of my internet providers records, to find either a marriage record or birth information.
Any help ratefully received
Regards
Charlie
Childrens bloodline.
Family names
Nelson, Hardy, Fairlamb, Tarr, Cole, Senton, Briner, Wood

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Swiss/French records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 12 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm having trouble finding them on the 1871 or 1881, can you specify where you have them and under what spellings?

There is no database that will list something like all marriages in France -there are some limited databases that cover certain areas, in other areas there's nothing at all online. it is also quite possible that they did not marry or that they married in London (as Charles was there by 1861) but the names have been misspelt (on the original or when transcribed).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlie

Welcome to Rootschat.

I think I have found your 1861 census of Charles Briner where he is 20 and a
Lodger, but it states he was born in Cheshire not in Switzerland.  Have you
got the right person on the census???  Is he the one living as a Lodger
in Lambeth, London with William and Mary Brown??
Maybe you cant find him if you think he was born in Switzerland if he
was born in Cheshire???

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 March 12 17:52 GMT (UK) »
In 1891, I can see them at RG12/350/42/40 - Charles born Switzerland and Adelaide born France, with children born Lambeth.

1901: RG13/369/57/22 - Charles A born "Swissland" and Adelaide born Paris, France.

I'm struggling to find them earlier, though.   ???

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 page that SandyMc found is the right one I think. He's in the next household to the Browns and it definitely says Switzerland (dittoed from the one above) . I see that Ancestry have transcribed that as Cheshire for some reason.

RG 9/349/23/48 towards the bottom of the page
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 March 12 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Thought I was going blind.  Doesnt help does it when the site transcribes it
wrongly.  Think I might apply for a job!

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 March 12 18:37 GMT (UK) »
VERY faint and hard to read in 1871: RG10/523/56/13 - Charles A born Italy (!) and "Adele" born Paris, France.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh, nicely done!

So Adelaide/Adele is consistently from Paris, and probably b. about 1847/1848
Seleviere is not, I think, going to be the original spelling of her name. If there is a document that has her maiden name on it, I'd like to see a copy of the original.

I had a look through the index of reconstructed records up to 1859 (can be found at http://canadp-archivesenligne.paris.fr, "reconstructed" because of a fire that destroyed many records), for names starting Sel- but no luck. It could also be something like Seillière.

Another index of some Paris records is at http://www.geneaservice.com/recherche/index.php and I checked but no suitable Briner marriage there.

Did Charles die in 1901? (listed on freebmd as Charles Briner aged 60).

Is Adelaide the one who remarried in 1902 in Orsett?  If so (and I think if you look for her and possible spouse William Hocking in the 1911 census you will see it very likely is), this late marriage could be a very good clue to Adelaide's origins, if she listed her father's name on it.

http://www.hls-dhs-dss.ch/famn/index.php?lg=e
From here "Briner" is mostly found in the Canton of Zurich.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline porkypie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 11:32 GMT (UK) »
All,
Many thanks guys that's really helpful. By the way i have never accessed census records using the reference number.
How do you do this?
Charlie
Childrens bloodline.
Family names
Nelson, Hardy, Fairlamb, Tarr, Cole, Senton, Briner, Wood