Author Topic: Black Family  (Read 12587 times)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Black Family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 March 12 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Well done to the 'Usual Suspects'  :)

So off I went to SP and downloaded Maggie Milton Taylor Black birth entry.

She was born on the 11th February 1901 at 54  or 7? Jasmine Terrace, Aberdeen.  Her parents were William Black - a 'Carter' and her mother Mary Ann Black (M.S. Milton)  Her parents were married on December the 28th 1889 in Auchterless.  William Black signed as informant.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,  Steve   (Britt - if you pm me your e-mail I can forward the good quality entry).

Offline Brittaya

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 March 12 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you so much everyone! You are the best. I wasn't certain that was the right family, but it must be.  I had kind of hoped I was wrong actually because the William Black that we're speaking of, when I searched his parents and their census records I found something quite disturbing. It appears his father ended up with his own daughter.. And I couldn't figure out if William was a child from his father's first marriage or the one to his own daughter. Either that or maybe if I'm really lucky there was some kind of census error.. I guess I will keep digging. Thank you again, this means so much to me.

Britt
Black - Aberdeen
Milton - Aberdeen
Houston - Canada, Ireland, Scotland
Joslyn - Canada, England
Ross - Scotland, Ireland

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 March 12 22:19 GMT (UK) »
1911 Census

Aberdeen.  Ward:  Greyfriars  Parish of:  John Knox.  Road /Street:  5 Causewayend   (pronounced 'Cassie- en' locally).

William Black     Head   44  Occupation:  Carter.  Employer/Worker:  Worker  born Aberdeen
Mary Black         Wife    45  born Auchterless.
Elizabeth Black  Daur    20 single, born England.
Jane Black         Daur    17 single, Flax Mill worker, born England.
James Black       Son     15  Van Boy (Baker) born Aberdeen.
William Black      Son     11  School, born Aberdeen.
Maggie Black      Daur    10  School, born Aberdeen   
Ethel Black         Daur     8   School, born Aberdeen
Alex Black           Son      7   School, born Aberdeen                                     

That's me for now.  Regards,   Steve  :)

Offline Brittaya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 March 12 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes flst, Gordonstoun School is correct! That's what my nana told me. Thank you for refreshing my memory.
Black - Aberdeen
Milton - Aberdeen
Houston - Canada, Ireland, Scotland
Joslyn - Canada, England
Ross - Scotland, Ireland

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 March 12 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Charlotine could have been called Ina/Inie. :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Britt

'MonicaL' posted that Mary Ann Black dies in 1917.  Her post was correct as she's down for a 1917 death, the death beng recorded on 2nd Feb 1917- but Mary actually died the last day of 1916 - on the 31st December 1916 - married to William Black 'General carter'.  Address was given as 37 Marischal Street, Aberdeen.   Her age was given as 51 and father recorded as John Milton - 'Farm Servant' and Margaret Milton (M.S. ??? - difficult to read). She died from 'Cardiac Disease ? years'. Informant was husband Wm Black.

Regards,  Steve  :)

A search of the IGI - www.familysearch.org, shows that Mary Ann Milton was born in Auchterless on 08 Oct 1865 to John Milton and Margaret Paxton.  (Have attached the parents names from SP) .

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Lots of great info Britt from everyone  ;)

I had kind of hoped I was wrong actually because the William Black that we're speaking of, when I searched his parents and their census records I found something quite disturbing. It appears his father ended up with his own daughter.. And I couldn't figure out if William was a child from his father's first marriage or the one to his own daughter. Either that or maybe if I'm really lucky there was some kind of census error..

There are a couple of William Blacks born around the same time in Old Marchar. Have you looked at your William's marriage entry to Mary Ann or his death entry to confirm his parents?

This is the most obvious birth entry for him:

William Black, son of James and Margaret (Kennedy) born on 25 July 1863 Old Machar - the image of this birth entry is available to view on SP,

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 09:25 GMT (UK) »
This is the most obvious family for him. The family of James Black and Margaret Kennedy. Margaret, mother may have died perhaps by 1871 - can't tell from transcript if James, father, shows as widowed:

James Black 42, street porter b. Coull
Mary Black 14
Ann Black 10
William Black 8 b. Old Marchar
Alexander Black 5
Georgina Gordon 25. indexed as 'sleeper', likely lodger b. Bivse (?spl), abdnshire...and possible future wife of James Black?

Address: 1 Back Cottage Of Skene Row, Old Marchar Aberdeen

From 1881:

James Black 53, street porter b. Coull
Georgina Black 35
Alex Black 15
George Black 7
John Black   4

Address: 1 Skene Row, Old Marchar

Britt, nothing to be concerned about from this second marriage. Certainly does not look to be his daughter (a check on marriage cert for Georgina and James would confirm details for you).

James Black married Georgina Gordon on 9 June 1871 in Old Machar.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Is this why you think there is an issue with the name Georgina and James' remarriage to a Georgina:

From 1861:

James Black 32
Margt Black 34
Georgina Black 12
Margt Black 11
James Black 8
Agnes Black 6
Mary Black 3
Ann Black 1 Month
John Brown 72

Address: 22 Hardweird, Old Machar Aberdeen

There is a possible marriage for Georgina Black, daughter of James Black and Margaret Kennedy:

Georgina Black married a John Duguid on 1 Dec. 1866 in Old Machar - a check of this marriage would let you confirm her parents. This is this John and Georgina in 1871:

John Dugerid 23, combmaker b. Aberdeen
Georgina Dugerid 22, Keeps A Small Grocers Shop b. Old Marchar
Margaret Dugerid 3 b. Old Machar
Eliza Dugerid 1 b. Old Machar

Address: No 41 East North St, St Nicholas Aberdeen

The Georgina Gordon who shows in the household in 1871 is a different Georgina. Once you have her parents's names confirmed from her marriage entry to James Black, you should be able to trace her back to her family.

Monica