Author Topic: Cane of Ireland  (Read 2395 times)

Offline arrakchrome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cane of Ireland
« on: Wednesday 07 March 12 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone.

So I have several questions, though I will explain the history of this item first.

The Cane of Ireland was presented to my Great Great Great Grandfather, Silas Youmans (Yeumans in some cases) by the Mayor of Mission City.  He had gone to Ireland to have it made or he made it himself.  It is broken, Silas got really mad one day and snapped it over his knee.  This cane is great because I can actually see it in several photos of him.  I should have measured it but it is not tall enough for me to use, I would have to hunch to use it, and I am 5'11" so it would be well suited for someone between 5'5" and 5'8" I think.

History after Silas.  The cane was willed to my Grandmother because she had asked Silas is she would be able to have it when he passed.  I had thought that the cane was given to my Uncle, however there is now talk about it going to a museum (That is another topic of discussion that I do not wish to go into at the moment).  Apparently when the cane was willed to my Grandmother a lot of family members were not very happy with that decision and wanted the cane.

Here are the photos of the Cane.

You can see the top of the Cane here, the head of the snake is the bump there and you can see it start to coil down the shaft and then the Roman Numeral for 3.

You can see carved at the head of the cane above the snake is a book and 1690.  Note the finer detail of the snakes eyes and forked tounge.

Another marking, 12 divits 3x4 on the opposite side of where the roman numeral for 3 is, just down the shaft a few inches.

The last marking on the cane, a 5 pointed star on the very top of the cane.

Any questions that you may have on this cane?

Now for my questions.
*When was this cane made?
*Who actually made it?
*Why was it made?
*What had Silas done to diserve it?
*What do all the symbols and the date 1690 mean?
*What was Silas so mad about that he broke the cane?
*Is there more history I do not know about this cane?
*Is it more valuable (not necessairly dollar value) broken or fixed?

I do not really expect some of these to be answered (ever) but I may as well try.  Cheers!

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Cane of Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi arrakchrome :)

Can you tell us a bit more - where is Mission City, and when was Silas around?
What do you know about the cane being given to Silas, and why is it called "The Cane Of Ireland"?

Offline arrakchrome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Mission City is now known as Mission, it is in the Fraser Valley in BC, Canada.

Silas was a Pioneer of the area that moved to Mission in 1890 from Ontario.  Born May 11 1855 in Hastings County Ontario, Died on December 14th 1948 in Mission.  As far as more about the cane, I have no idea.  I have heard that it may have been made in Ireland, maybe it is because of the serpent on it; I honestly do not know much, that is why I posted here.

Though this may be of help.  He belonged to the local Orange Lodge.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Though this may be of help.  He belonged to the local Orange Lodge.

Ah, that is helpful, in that 1690 (the date on the cane) is the year that William III (William of Orange) won the Battle of the Boyne against James II/VII.  It is a key point in the folklore of the Orange Order.  A symbol of the Williamites was a five-pointed purple star, which today features on the Orange Order flag - might be what the star on the handle is meant to represent (or might not!)  And I wonder if the III might be referring to William III?

Thanks for the other info, I will continue to dig, and meantime someone more knowledgeable might know something and post here :)

I wonder if it might be worth posting a link on the Ireland board, asking people to come to this topic and have a look? 

Cheers
Prue

Offline arrakchrome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 March 12 01:34 GMT (UK) »
"Silas Youman is attributed with being the oldest active member in the Orange Lodge of Mission City. Many years ago he was given an Orange Lodge emblem walking stick by the late John Doyle (once reeve of Mission) who carved the cane from an oak branch that he obtained in Ireland." (Source: News story "Silas Youman, Builder Of Mission Roads In Early Days, Still Active" - byline reads "Does A Days Work At 91" so c1946 )

That answers much.  Apparently there is no history before it was given to My GreatGreatGreat Grandfather.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 12 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Ah, there we go - that pretty much answers it  :)

Perhaps the Mission Museum would be able to help you with the chronology - i.e. when John Doyle was around.  They might also be interested in the story of Silas and the stick, and could advise on storage of the cane and its possible restoration.
http://www.mission.museum.bc.ca/

Offline arrakchrome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 March 12 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Yeah we have contact with the Museum and the Mission Archive Society.

That brings up another whole problem about the cane.  My grandmother wants it to go with this old photo that she donated years and years ago.  I believe that it should stay in the family.  Though I agree that it could and should be loaned to the museum for a display, however I do not believe that it should be given to them.  Especially because grandma doesn't want it to go into storage like the old photo does.  And I know this will happen if it gets donated to them.  Sigh, that is another whole problem though.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 March 12 04:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure you could speak to the museum about the various options open to you.  There is a probability that they will consider a long-term/permanent loan where you still own the piece, but they look after it and display it as they are able to, and as it fits in with their exhibition program.  The old photo that your grandmother gave to the museum has probably been digitally copied and the original will now be in safe storage.  Most museums don't display original photographs because of the high risk of them becoming light damaged. 

Viewing of museum pieces is not restricted to things that are on display.  You should be able to view anything that you donate or loan to a museum, by making an appointment to do so.  So just because it gets donated or loaned doesn't mean that family can't see it any more.   

If others in the family are concerned about any aspect of ownership, perhaps a legal document could be drawn up with the help of a solicitor, outlining who has sole ownership or whether ownership is shared, etc.  You would need to get proper legal advice from a personal property expert, though.

Cheers
Prue