Author Topic: Smith & McBryan of Templeport Parish Co Cavan  (Read 3931 times)

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Smith & McBryan of Templeport Parish Co Cavan
« on: Sunday 15 May 05 23:10 BST (UK) »
My gg grandfather was Patrick Smith from Blackwater Bridge in Co Cavan.  I have his Bounty claim here whwere his sponsors claimed payment for him.  It shows he was the son of Thomas Smith a abourer and bridget McBryan his spouse.  He was 18 when he left in 1837/8 for Australia.  He was listed as a lfarm labourer and a Catholic.

The referees quoted on his form were:
Mr Jas Rutledge, brother of William Rutledge aka King Billy in the Colony for his success in business;
Mr Francis McGauran;
Mr PP Drumralg;
Rev George D Beresford, Church Minister.

Mr Jas Rutledge is noted as being from Bally magail.

I would be really pleased to hear from anybody who knows of this family or can tell me about Blackwater Bridge.

Does anybody know of Bally magail or any of patrick's sponsores?

Thanks all

Anne Whiteford

Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Smith & McBryan of Templeport Parish Co Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 05 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne,

There appear to be a couple of errors in that list of referees on Patrick's form -
That Mr PP Drumralg does not look right (I would go as far as stating it is not right) -
Francis McGauran, PP was probably the Parish Priest of either Drumragh or Drumrat
Rev George Beresford would have been the minister of the Established (Anglican / Church of Ireland)

http://www.thecore.com/seanruad IreAtlas Townland Search will show you there are two places named Drumrat and one named Drumragh. Blackwater Bridge does not show as a townland. It is highly likely that it was a name given to an area within the townland by the local people as a more precise method of pinpointing exactly where Patrick lived. Whilst the townland name is the same today the name Blackwater Bridge may well have changed several times over the generations since the time Patrick emigrated.

Ballymagail does not show as a townland. Ballymagirril (156 acre townland) is a possibility.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 07 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne,

An article by Rev Benjamin B. Smith "A Genealogist Searches for the Rutledge Family's Irish Origins"
may interest you. It mentions that The Rutledges in Ballymagirril had attended the Templeport Church

Chris

Broken link- please let us know if you find a new link to this information

Offline gortnaleck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this forum but I wanted to direct you to a website that has a lot of information about Templeport. Try stpeter.utvinternet.com.There are still Mc Briens living in that area,,and I also remember Rutledges when I was young and back there but I'm not sure if there are any still living. Actually it was a man called Willie that I remember.Nigel Rofe mantains the website and could probably add some more information

Offline gortnaleck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 September 09 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just found out that my grandmother's maiden name was McBryan or McBrien from Templeport