Author Topic: A House in Skirbeck  (Read 11397 times)

Offline Rochdalian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: A House in Skirbeck
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 March 12 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie, we seem to be on the same track.  If Drain Side was the local name why would it be used by the enumerator, even though he may have been local, on an official document??

I'm pretty confident, thanks to you, Roger & Pam, that when we are walking along Willoughby Road in June that we will be in the right area!! ;) :D

B & H
Pearson - Yorkshire
Flinders - Notts/Lincs/Lyon
Dearden - Rochdale
Grindrod - Rochdale
Reynolds - Staffs/Cornwall
Tortoishell - Staffs
Cooper, Freeman, Parnell, Love, Hargreaves - Rutland
Maslen - Wiltshire/Victoria, Australia
Kenny - Germany
Edwards - Greater London/Victoria, Australia
Bartlett, Gee, Padbury - Northants
Rampoley, Allom - Suffolk
Detlefsen, Herse, Iversen, Boisen/Boysen - Denmark
Xylander - Germany
Dundon - Co Limerick
Mullins - Devon

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 March 12 02:11 GMT (UK) »
B & H - thank you for alerting me to the maps that are available on the Lincs to the Past site.

On that 1906 map, look for the junction of Cowbridge Road and Spilsby Road, then look slightly left, and Bargate End is written diagonally.
It's called Wide Bargate on today's map, but old locals (who are very resistant to change!  :) ) still call it Bargate End.
http://g.co/maps/f2v3q
Enderby's and the Roadhouse Music Store buildings have been there forever.

That 1906 map is such a good find actually, especially as you can enlarge it in much greater detail than on some other sites.
Following Ruskie's find of San Francisco Terrace being on the south side of Spilsby Road you can clearly see it marked, and that there are only two other buildings on the south side until you come to Hospital (Bridge) Lane.

Drainside North simply has to be what is marked on the 1906 map as Cowbridge Road. Too many other things fit for it not to be.  :)
I did have to do a double-think in the 1911 census when I saw Pilley's Lane and Cowbridge pub itself mentioned on the same page, but then logic clicked in.
Schedules numbers for Drainside North start at 316 for the house and dairy, and end on that enumerators sheet at 333.
The next list (the one with Pilleys Lane and Cowbridge pub on) again lists Drianside North, schedule numbers beginning 334, with the uninhabited flour mill listed between 340 and 341, and ending on 357 with someone who lives in one of the Bede Houses at Hospital Bridge. The (pedestrian) bridge itself is exactly opposite Hospital (Bridge) Lane.
Those schedule numbers prove that the walk must begin at the Spilsby Road junction and then go along to Hospital Lane.

FindMyPast have a census 'address search' and if you enter Skirbeck as the place, in 1881, you've got Drainside, and Drainside Willoughby Road amongst other entries, so it's obvious that it was called Drainside for many years, prior to it being Cowbridge Road for a few years. (Drainside is listed on the next page to Hospital Lane on the images.)
It could even be that the mapmakers made a mistake. Because regardless of what the map says, the road is listed as Drainside/Drainside North on official documents such as census returns (more than one!) and birth certificates.

Good thinking as to why that bit was called Drainside North, i.e. north of Bargate Bridge.

Ruskie - the drain south of Bargate Bridge isn't that long. A bit under a mile later (under the present day name of West Fen Catchment Drain) it enters the part of the river Witham known as the Haven. http://g.co/maps/z9mdb

Totally, off-topic, I didn't realise that the football ground was there as long ago as 1906.  :o

Offline Rochdalian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 March 12 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, I think between us we are in absolute agreement that what is now Willoughby Road was both Drainside (North) and Cowbridge Road at some time or other ;D :D ;) :)

Therefore we will be visiting that part of town in June and take a photo with Helen standing outside each house!! 8) ;D

Thanks everybody :)

Bob & Helen
Pearson - Yorkshire
Flinders - Notts/Lincs/Lyon
Dearden - Rochdale
Grindrod - Rochdale
Reynolds - Staffs/Cornwall
Tortoishell - Staffs
Cooper, Freeman, Parnell, Love, Hargreaves - Rutland
Maslen - Wiltshire/Victoria, Australia
Kenny - Germany
Edwards - Greater London/Victoria, Australia
Bartlett, Gee, Padbury - Northants
Rampoley, Allom - Suffolk
Detlefsen, Herse, Iversen, Boisen/Boysen - Denmark
Xylander - Germany
Dundon - Co Limerick
Mullins - Devon

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 March 12 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I hope Helen is photogenic.  ;D

Have a wonderful trip, and while you're there see if you can find some old locals to ask about the location of Drainside North. (and of course pop back to let us know what they told you, and post a couple of photos).

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 March 12 16:47 GMT (UK) »
An earlier club than Boston United Pam; it was formed  1933 or 1934. United is invariably an indication of merging of clubs.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)