Author Topic: James Robertson and Mary Russell Bowie  (Read 5714 times)

Offline lesleyegreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Robertson and Mary Russell Bowie
« on: Wednesday 07 March 12 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to get information on this couple. James Robertson was born in Channelkirk, Berwickshire in 1874 and was the son of James Robertson and Agnes Anderson. He is living at 158 Leith Walk, Leith in the 1901 census and a barman. Later that year he marries Mary Russell Bowie in Edinburgh, father ? Bowie and mother Mary Russell. In the Berwickshire news and General Advertiser it says she was formerly of Banff? I have seen a copy of their marriage certificate and it is undecipherable.
I would like to know what happened to them after 1901.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Lesley
Dumfriesshire-Green, Currie, Strong, Beattie, Dryden, Steel, Carmichael, Baird.
Ireland/Lanarkshire- Canavan, McConkey, Hillis
Ayrshire- Lang, Russell, Pollock

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Robertson and Mary Russell Bowie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 18:08 GMT (UK) »
There were Bowies in King Edward which is in Aberdeenshire, but close to Banff. If you look in Scotland's People you should easily find her birth. It is possible that her birth certificate does not have the middle name, so if you can't see Mary Russell Bowie, you could first look for her parents' marriage certificate to narrow down the area.

Graham.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley and Graham

A Bowie and Mary Russell marriage is not jumping out on Scotlands People. There is one showing but after 1920.

Just in case there is a question mark on father and whether parents were actually married at the time of her birth....there is this entry in 1901 Edinburgh at the Clouston household:

Mary Russell, 24, tablemaid b. (New Mill of Keith), Banffsh
Address: Morningside Pl (tippeclune House), Edinburgh Morningside, Newington.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Mmm...names not quite the way round we need but a Bowie and Russell! From 1881:

Alexander Bowie 65, Journeyman Carpenter b. Keith
Jessie Bowie 27 daughter b. Keith
Mary Russell 4 granddaughter b. Keith

Address: 51 Main St, Keith Banff

And I think this is the same Jessie and Mary in 1891 with messy transcription:

Jessie Bown (?Bowie) 35 woolen mill worker b. Keith
Mary Russell 14, daughter, woolen mill worker b. Keith
George Harper 7 months son b. Keith

Address: Main St, Keith Banff

Can't see much else for her in terms of other options.

I think you may need to double check her death cert to see what it says about her mother as we are seeing Jessie (variant of Janet) potentially, surnames the other way round, and Mary born illegitimately also as a possibility.

The 1911 census for Mary married to James should help also in terms of confirming her place of birth and age (what was her age at the time of her marriage?).

Monica

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Downloaded the marriage entry but as Lesley say its of a 'fuzzy' quality - have asked SP for a possible re-scan - should get a reply in a day or so. 

Theyre usually very good.
Mary Russell Bowie gave her address as 66 Main Street, New Mill, Keith on her marriage entry.  She gives her father as - at a guess / John Bowie a ? Joiner (deceased) - name and occ. is difficult - hopefully a rescan can verify, and mother Mary Bowie (M.S Russell).

Regards,   Steve   :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

I am wondering if young Mary jumbled things up. The Jessie Bowie who I think might be mother is still living in Main Street, Keith with 10 yr old son George Bowie (previously Harper).

Jessie's grandfather Alexander Bowie was a carpenter (a.k.a. joiner)...

Not sure if we are going to find much more from the info on Mary's marriage cert that we can confirm. But, as always, never say never  ;)

Monica

Added: We also have that Mary Russell census entry with a birth place of New Mill of Keith that shows in Edinburgh in 1901...

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 12 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Monica - I need to be saved from myself....

So went looking form Mary Russell Robertson death other name Bowie - only 1 in all of Scotland 1855 to 2009.  it wasn't her.  This lady died in 1904 and was Mary Russell  Robertson married to a Robert Bowie.

Then went looking for  a Mary Robertson death - other name Bowie - all of Scotland 1855 to 2009 there were 7 - majority in Glasgow - 1 in Edinburgh.  Plumped for that one.  I think that it is the correct one.  Mary Robertson, widow of James Robertson Wine and Spirit Merchant, died on 18th Dec 1956  in Edinburgh.  usual residence 45 Gardiner Road, Edinburgh.  aged 80 years.  Parents James Bowie Joiner and mother Mary Bowie (M.S.Russell).  Witness was a Jessie A Robertson (daughter) of the same address.

Do we have any idea of James occupation?

Regards,   Steve     :)

Offline lesleyegreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 March 12 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic work everyone.
Yes James was a wine and spirit dealer, as per marriage certificate.
Glad I wasn't the only one to go skelly trying to read their marriage certificate. Some of it was illegible.

Thanks for all the information, it gives me some good pointers as to where they were living and now can look for their daughter.

Keep up the good work
Thanks
Lesley
Dumfriesshire-Green, Currie, Strong, Beattie, Dryden, Steel, Carmichael, Baird.
Ireland/Lanarkshire- Canavan, McConkey, Hillis
Ayrshire- Lang, Russell, Pollock

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 March 12 09:21 GMT (UK) »
For those who've been helping.  Got the rescan this morning of the marriage entry.

James Robertson, Spirit Dealers Assistant (Bachelor),aged 27 of 158 Leith Walk, Leith married
Mary Russell Bowie, Domestic Servant (Spinster), aged 24 of 66 Main Street, New Mill, Keith on
the 7th June 1901 at 14 Picardy Place, Edinburgh - "After Banns & Proclamation according to the forms of the Church of Scotland".

His parents:  James Robertson (Spirit Dealer) & Agnes Robertson (M.S.Anderson).
Her parents: J??? Bowie (Joiner) - deceased & Mary Bowie (M.S. Russell).

Witnesses  Robert Robertson and Nellie Gordon.  Minister Andrew B?? Minister of St Aidans.

Note:  Unfortunately - there are several James on the page and their names are clearly obvious.  Unfortunately Marys fathers name is not so.

Regards,   Steve   :)

(The above doesn't add any extra info.

As an aside - checked Libindex (which covers the Keith area) for the deaths of a John or James Bowie - Joiner and can't  find one.  (There is a headstone reference to a Mary Bowie - whose husband was a James Bowie - but it gves no further info - (Spouse's Name : JAMES BOWIE  Headstone Ref : Bu317), and most also give the ladys maiden name.

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp