Author Topic: Do you turn your router off?  (Read 11730 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Do you turn your router off?
« on: Wednesday 07 March 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've had problems just recently with connecting to the internet when I first switch on. I have a laptop and always turn my wireless router and computer off when not in use.

Today, after trying unsuccessfully to connect, I switched the router off for 10 minutes or so......I have had to do that on many occasions just recently. After 10 minutes my connection was still not great and the LAN light was blinking rapidly.

I decided to phone my isp and he was very helpful and informative but told me I must leave the router on at all times and then if things don't improve, to get back to them.

I just wondered what the general concensus of opinion on this is?
Are you laying yourself open to a security problem?
What happens if there is a thunderstorm?
The transformer and router get quite hot, is this a problem? 

Opinions appreciated. Best wishes HL
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do you turn your router off?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I am on Virgin which uses a seperate modem, although I use a wireless router for wireless equipment.
I only turn both off if I have any problems with connection.
If I remember correctly, I turned off/on just before chrismas.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I have used "Virgin" fibre optic broadband since it was first installed in this area under the Blueyonder name (around 12 years ago).
I always switch the modem off when not in use and have had no problem with it.
Connected to the modem is a netgear router which is switched off and on at the same time as the modem.

I have the power supplies for the modem, router and computer connected to a multiplug extension lead with a master switch.
My routine is to switch on the master switch this powers up the modem and router then switch on the computer a few seconds later.
By the time the computer has booted up the modem and router are ready for it.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 18:39 GMT (UK) »
A technician told me recently that, if you switch the router on and off several times, the automatic equipment at the exchange can interpret it as a fault and switch to a lower broadband speed.

Apparently the line is automatically monitored and progressively switched to higher speeds over a number of days until it achieves the maximum stable rate the line can sustain.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brian, Guy and Mike,

I have a Zxyel router and my isp is southern electric. Their advice was loosely along the lines of your comments Mike.....that because I keep switching it off, when I switch it back on I get an unstable connection. They say that the router will eventually break because of this way of using it.

I would prefer, like Guy to switch it off each day but that's just me....tv unplugged at night etc.

The fact that Brian and Mike both leave theirs on with no problems does make me feel a little more confident and so I will give it a whirl.

Just can't understand why this situation, when all has been well for 3 years.

HL :)

Best wishes HL

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Mmm.... I've just noticed that there is an on/off button at the back of the router!

Perhaps I should have made use of this button instead of simply switching of at the socket?
(but then my isp's advice would still remain, that I should leave it on)

I really wish that hand books explained things in greater detail, or at least mentioned important facts and then I would be able to learn from the info they give.  This button isn't mentioned in my very small piece of paper supplied with the router. 

HL :)

Best wishes HL

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 19:59 GMT (UK) »
I use a Netgear Wireless ADSL Modem Router.  I switch everything off every night and have never had a problem!

Bill

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I have a sky router (I use broadband as Wifi is a problem in my area)

I had months of problems with it.  I too have a laptop.  Called Sky, who in sent engineers out they sorted out my wall connection which it turned out had never been fitted correctly.  And the engineer recommended that although I switch everything off to leave my router on.  He said that the incorrectly fitted wall box was not the problem but my switching off my router every time.

I now leave my router on and touch wood & whistle no problems since then.   ;)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 21:48 GMT (UK) »
With BT you can join BTFON which allows you to use other people's wireless connections - and them to use yours - while you are out and about, in the same way as you can use Starbucks' or whoever's wireless. So leave it running! I've had my router running happily for years, no problems at all.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan