Author Topic: Searching for living relatives in Treherbert area.  (Read 3186 times)

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Searching for living relatives in Treherbert area.
« on: Thursday 08 March 12 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I realise this may be a long shot, but here goes!  Please bear with me, I will try to give you as much information as possible without (hopefully) boring you all, in the hope that some of the information may trigger someone's memory!

I'm hoping to find or to make contact with living relatives down in the Pontypridd area (if there are any!).  It may even be helpful if anyone remembers or may have heard about the family if only to add a little substance to parts of my family tree.  At the moment, all I have are names, dates and places.

My Great Grandfather John Ellis Jones was born in Dolwyddelan, North Wales and married (about 1890) an Ellen Roberts (born Ffestiniog).  They moved to Treherbert where my g Grandfather was a collier.  They had 4 children:

Jane E Jones (b abt 1893)
Ellis Wynne Jones (b abt 1894)
Edith Wynne Jones (b abt 1897)
Richard Gwaenydd Jones (b abt 1899 - died 1930 in Liverpool, buried in Ffestiniog with my Grandfather, his half-brother)

According the the census returns, all children were born in Meirionethshire but in 1901, the family moved to 92 Woodfield Terrace, Penrhiwceiber.  Between 1901 and 1911, the family had moved to The Old Royal Exchange Hotel, Penyrenglyn, Treherbert.  In 1909 Ellen, my g Grandfather's wife died of a broken neck following a fall down a staircase, in the Hotel, on Christmas Eve!

In 1911 my g Grandfather had moved to 87 Baglan Street, Treherbert with his children and also, my future g grandmother lived with him as a housekeeper, together with her two children from a previous marriage.  John Ellis and Elizabeth Anne (his housekeeper) later married and had a further (at least) 4 children together.

My Mother's sister remembers my Grandfather going down to Treherbert to his half-sister, Jane or Edith Wynne's funeral, but do not know when exactly.  My Grandfather died in April 1974, therefore it must have been before this!

I can only assume at the moment that Edith or Jane may have had children of their own and therefore, their children or even grandchildren could still be alive in that area now.  I know Ellis Wynne went on to marry and had children and that he and his brother, Richard Gwaenydd both died in the same year, 1930.

I am sorry if all the above may be a little confusing or even boring but I really would like to know more about that part of our family.

Thank you very much for your time.

In anticipation,

Arwel
Pugh - Dolgellau/Arthog/Ffestiniog
Evans - Dolgellau/Llanegryn (Felin Fach)
Jones - Treherbert/Ffestiniog, Dolwyddelan
Lewis - Pentre Gwynfryn, Llanbedr
Morris - Cricieth/Llanystumdwy, Ffestiniog
Jones - Dolgellau/Dolgledr (Craigyrhelbul)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for living relatives in Treherbert area.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My dad managed to contact his cousin's family by writing to a local newspaper giving a name and address, in a small town in Wales, from a 60 year old marriage certificate!

Good luck,

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 12 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, I am from this area and still have conections there. I can send you links and also myemal address by private message if you are able to have them. Will be happy to help.
Kindest regards
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 March 12 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Arwel  :)

RootsChat is meant for finding ancestors, rather than living relatives.

Personal details of any people known or thought to be living will be removed, in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. So people here will be able to give you general tips and hints how to proceed, but not any concrete details.

You will also find more tips here:

Topic: Tracing Living Relatives
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,261434.0.html
and
Topic: Searching for living relatives and Rootschat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,142443.0.html

If anyone has any information about the family, please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging information related to living people

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Kindest Regards
Morgan

Offline ArwelONeill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 March 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course, I didn't realise.

You may remove the post if you wish. I've had no replies so far anyway!

Appologies, I simply didn't think.

Arwel
Pugh - Dolgellau/Arthog/Ffestiniog
Evans - Dolgellau/Llanegryn (Felin Fach)
Jones - Treherbert/Ffestiniog, Dolwyddelan
Lewis - Pentre Gwynfryn, Llanbedr
Morris - Cricieth/Llanystumdwy, Ffestiniog
Jones - Dolgellau/Dolgledr (Craigyrhelbul)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 12 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Arwel  :)

Please don't worry and the post can remain on the board. Hopefully someone will see it and reply (without naming living people). You may be lucky and a descendant will contact you with information.

Good luck with your research
Morgan