Author Topic: SPARKS family Brick and Tile Makers  (Read 1643 times)

Offline magic e

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SPARKS family Brick and Tile Makers
« on: Thursday 08 March 12 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching a branch of my tree based in Devon, namely the Sparks family, which seems to have the trade of brick and tile makers going through several generations.

Henry Sparks died in 1889 at the Cat and Fiddle tilery in Farringdon. His father Robert had been in the trade and his three sons Robert, Harry and John carried it on.

The family lived in Exeter St Sidwell and Withycombe Raleigh amongst other places.

Does anyone know if there are local archives related to the brick and tile industry in Devon?

I'd like to trace the family back further too. Robert Sparks snr was born in Taunton Somerset abt 1791 and married Mary Ann Westcombe. The names are tricky to track with many spelling inconsistencies!

Offline cornish jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SPARKS family Brick and Tile Makers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 12 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Magic e

I read your post with interest, although I am not able to provide any details of any archive material relating to the brick and tile industry for Exeter, other than what is on
http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_commercial/brickworks.php.

My husband's 5 x gt grandfather was James Wescombe, who had a brick yard in St Sidwells, in land adjacent to St Ann's Chapel.  This was sold off by his children following his death in 1806.

The 1818 marriage you mention I have looked at previously, although as yet I have not been able to tie it to a particular Mary Ann in my husband's family. :-\

Jo
CRAZE - St Ives, Cornwall
HICKS, St Erth & Lelant Cornwall
CARLYON - Breage, Cornwall
PERRY - Gwennap, Cornwall
PHILLIPS - Crowan, Cornwall
FLOOD - Honiton, Devon
WESCOMB - Exeter, Devon
LEE - Honiton, Devon
MAYES - Norfolk

Offline magic e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jo,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the very interesting link.

Robert Sparks was living in Black Boy Road on the 1851 census and his son Henry in Silver Street, next to Black Boy Road so the brickworks mentioned in your link would be their obvious place of employment.

All I have on Mary Ann Westcombe was that her father was William and her mother Mary and she was born in 1785 in Withycombe Rawleigh/Raleigh.

Offline MargRosa

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 February 22 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have just found your post via Google as I am researching the Sparks family. I too am descended from Robert Sparks and Jane Channing through their son Henry, who was a brick and tile maker in Taunton and then in Blue Anchor in North Somerset, where Henry had his own kiln.
I find the links with the brick and tile trade very interesting and would like to know if you have discovered any more?
I realise it’s a few years since you posted this message.