Author Topic: Olive Ann/Ann Olive Powell conundrum! b. abt 1838/9  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Re: Olive Ann/Ann Olive Powell conundrum! b. abt 1838/9
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 August 12 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome, Graham, ... this is brilliant!  We believe our branch of the tree sprouts from Charles and Ann's son Charles - so we are distant relatives!  How exciting - my father's cousin (another RC-er) will be tickled pink  ;D

As you can see, Olive Ann has been a bit of a problem for us.  We knew an Olive Ann  had married John H Bright ... but as we're on "the other side of the rock", finding documentation online has been rather fraught, and finding "Ann O Powell" staying with her aunt Olive at the time of the 1851 Census confused the issue somewhat.

*On checking my tree, I see that I only have four children for the Bright marriage, incidentally (Olive, John, Lilian and Violet).*

Was Olive Ann's birth registered?  If you've read the preceding posts, you'll see that I hadn't been able to find it; - although I had found, in parish registers, the birth in the May quarter of 1837 and death in the September quarter of Ann Olive Powell, daughter of Charles and Ann, ... and the birth in 1839 and death in 1840 of Lucy Miranda, daughter of Charles and Ann (note!  I'm frantically going through my files to find copies of the documents, which I'm sure I have here, somewhere!).

Looking forward to hearing from you again

Cheers
Deb
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline gorpwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 August 12 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb

John Henry and Olive Anne (Powell) Bright had another boy (Charlie, as he was known in the family) who was born in 1871 and died in 1875 both in Westbury on Trym.  While I did not know my grandmother personally (she died in 1928) I knew her younger sisters Lilian and Violet very well and most of what I know about the Powell's and Brights comes from them.

Best wishes

Graham
Orpwood, Bright, Powell, Howell, Lipscomb, Hatchard

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 August 12 08:39 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness; - another Charles to confuse us!  As if the Olives and Anns weren't sufficient!  ;D
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 August 12 14:18 BST (UK) »
For any who are interested ... after talking to Graham via email, it's looking less and less likely that Charles James' and Ann's son Charles was actually my ancestor!   Seems Eddo and I might have been researching the wrong family, after all!  :'(