Author Topic: Harriet Warwick, born 1873 Leeds.  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Jazgran

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harriet Warwick, born 1873 Leeds.
« on: Friday 09 March 12 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Harriet appears in the 1881 along with her parents and siblings. Her parents appear in the 1891 and stay in UK,but not Harriet.   The next I can find of her is that she marries in 1889 in Pennsylvania, although she lies about her age to appear to be 21 when she is in fact only 16.   I see her in the US 1910, 1920, 1930, she was widowed and married her brother in law, had lots of children and grandchildren, and died in US in 1931.

But - how did she get to travel to USA before 1889 as a 16 year old and without her parents? Can anyone find a record of her travel and who with?

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Warwick, born 1873 Leeds.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 March 12 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us the 1881 census reference please (or her parents)  There are 2 Harriet Warwicks born in Leeds about the same time!

Also, what was her husband's name?

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jazgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 12 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  Yes there are 2 Harriets, they are cousins.  The one I'm enquiring about was with her father William bn. 1833 in Leeds.   She married William Prey (also spelled Pry) in Pennsylvania 19 October 1889.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
It looks like she is in 1900 on familysearch as "Harget Pry", in case you don't have her there (already widowed).
Also in 1900 in the same area are:
Robert Warwick, b. Jul 1862, England, married 1882, emigrated 1883, wife Amelia, b. Jul 1863 (11 children 3 living!).

These would appear to be Robert Warwick and Amelia Winterburn, who married Dec q. 1881 Hunslet (freebmd). Perhaps Robert is a brother or cousin (there is a possible Robert on 1871 with a father William married to Jane; Jane may have died in 1875 and William remarried to Ann in 1876).

That doesn't explain how she travelled over but it might go some way towards explaining why she went to that particular location in the US.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jazgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 March 12 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Jorose.  Yes that is her brother Robert, I thought he had emigrated much later but perhaps if he went in 1883 Harriet may have travelled with him.  Are there any records of travel for that year?  I have Robert in the 1900 and 1920 US Census, but not the 1910.  Also he applies for a Passport in 1921 - why would he do that.  Is he British, or naturalised US citizen - any ideas on that? 

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 March 12 17:59 GMT (UK) »
It looks like, from http://www.ellisisland.org/, that in 1921 Robert and wife Amelia had taken a trip back to England, perhaps to visit family. This shows that he became a US citizen in 1888.

You would have to look at incoming records; in the 1880s they could have gone through several different US ports or into Canada and then across the border. Misspellings and things like people being listed just with first initial or as Mr/Mrs/Miss can make it more complex.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jazgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 March 12 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Jorose.  I will go back to the records for 1880s and trawl through to see if I can find anything.
Many thanks to all for help received.   Jazgran

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 March 12 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Amelia Warwick appears on a New York Passenger List 1883  ???

Amelia Warwick . Born about 1863 England and aged 20 years
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland to New York on the Germanic, arriving 25 th June 1883.

Robert is not with her or on that particular page of the manifest, there are only 17 pages so will have a look through later.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 March 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
There is also this entry, a few months earlier  ???  Food for thought  ???
The manifest is so blurry, it could well be Warwick  ??? The nationality is as usual just swiggly line all the way down  ???
Robert Wanick. Born about 1862 and aged 21 years
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland  to New York on the Germanic, arriving 12 March 1883.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada