Author Topic: Changing names  (Read 3755 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Changing names
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 February 14 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Think what you are looking at is just different versions of the same surname. McQuiggin would not be the earlier version (as there's no letter 'Q' in Irish language) but McQuiggin and McWiggin would sound much the same and then the 'Mc' prefix was dropped with the family using 'Wiggin.' This was not uncommon, especially when people were illiterate of moved to naother country or area. Ity may be a variation of McGuigan.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wibs

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Changing names
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 December 23 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cazza,
Come across this post from years ago, relates to some research I'm doing for a mate from work.
Did you ever get to the bottom of the Mcquiggan / Wiggins thing.... I'm fairly satisfied that the John Wiggins b.Wigton 1846 who married Ellen Lowes in 1865 is the same as John McQuiggan, who's father was Henry McQuiggan from Ireland (1807-1874).... can you confirm or did you never get to the bottom of it?... and if you did, do you think the name change was likley accidental from an enumerator hearing things incorrecfty, or deliberate, maybe as a way to adopt a more english sounding name?.. be good to hear back.
Wibs