Author Topic: PC to MAC - can I? Should I?  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PC to MAC - can I? Should I?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 August 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinetree

Happy to be able to answer this one!  :)

I have done this once before - ring up Ancestry and ask them to do it for you. Make sure you have relevant details about your purchase handy. I am not sure whether I can do it twice (the first time I simply upgraded from 2005 to 2009, this time I am transferring from PC to Mac versions and haven't yet tried). Might be a one-time offer?!

It took me a while to get used to the Mac - things like the hashtag being hidden away for example - not handy for Twitter! I also had to buy Office and Outlook again but am delighted with how portable it is. You do need to think up creative ways to install new software when you haven't a disk drive though - mostly they have thought of that!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 August 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

I rang Ancestry and they were very helpful, all I had to do was activate my free subscription and it automatically added 6 months to my renewal date - great ;)

I don't think the chap at Ancestry did anything special so perhaps you should give it a try.

Thank you for your helpful reply.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 August 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
My pleasure - I enjoy hearing stories of good customer service, so thanks for the feedback.

And have fun with your Mac!

8)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 November 12 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I have just purchased a Mac Air too!  It is great and I can't see me missing my Sony Vaio, which is still absolutely fine, but now I'm finding my way round the Mac I prefer it.
I hadn't yet thought about purchasing new FH software as the PC is still fine but I'm glad to learn that it's possible with not too much hassle.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newbie - how are you?  :)

I used to use a Sony Vaio at work, about 5 years ago, and I loved it.

The Mac is wonderfully light and portable. I have few complaints, other than I can't get any decent free image manipulation software to work on it (just downloaded GIMP and it refuses to play ball) and the need to buy Mac-specific software.

I am sure I am only using a fraction of the clever things it can do!

I hope you love your new machine.

;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 22:03 GMT (UK) »
p.s. the wonderful Pels just pointed me in the direction of this little program, which looks absolutely marvellous! I am tickled pink. And my photos will be too, as soon as I find out how to use it!

http://pixlr.com

:D 8) :D

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 November 12 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,  Helloo!!  I am ok thank you, haven't had much time for any F.H for a long time other (family) events get in the way...  I am enjoying the Mac, its great, thank you for the info about the photo software.  The Vaio is still fine so I can use that for the time being for photos but will switch to the Mac in time.