Author Topic: Has data been removed from 1881 census?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Has data been removed from 1881 census?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 March 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
The same is missing from FindMyPast.

I've always understood that Ancestry and FindMyPast use the exact indexing available on LDS - this is why the transcriptions are available free in on both sites. If a transcription error is found on LDS it is usually duplicated exactly on the other two.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 March 12 12:38 GMT (UK) »
From the original image for the Reynolds family which is on page 21, I used the 'previous page' button to go backwards.  I got as far as page 17 which is complete but then the page before that has had its left hand margin cut off so I can't see the page number but I can see it does relate to Wellclose Square although the dwelling number has been also cut off.  The bottom left hand quarter of this page is missing - looks like it's been ripped off.  This is the first page in the set, there is no 'previous page' button.

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline TomRees

• -
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 March 12 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Curiouser & curiouser !

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 March 12 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure I've heard before that the 1881 is the same transcription everywhere except The Genealogist, who have a different one. Looks as if that's correct, useful to know.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 March 12 17:23 GMT (UK) »
From the Ancestry 1881 page

Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 1881 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.

1881 British Isles Census Index provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints © Copyright 1999 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. All use is subject to the limited use license and other terms and conditions applicable to this site. Appreciation is expressed to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for providing the 1881 England and Wales Census Index.
[/b]
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TomRees

• -
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 March 12 17:24 GMT (UK) »
The 1881 census is the only pre-1911 Ancestry census that is indexed by address as well as name - its becos they took it from the LDS transcription.

Offline andy wright 1955

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 March 12 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all you guys who have shown an interest in this post. It is strange because I am reasonably sure that the entry that I originally took notes from would have been either the LDS or Ancestry sites. It is most unlikely that I would have got it from any other site. If that is the case then it implies that data has been removed either deliberately or in error. this the reply I received back from Ancestry when I first noticed it.

"We regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. We do remove records from our site when it is due to privacy issues that we would remove them from our site or either the government of the country decided to change the records policy. It all depends on what the government would want and also with the privacy policy when there are changes to it.

If you are trying to find a particular record that we may not have then there is a website that you could probably find that record in. The web site is www.gro.gov.uk. This will be where you need to go to view most of the UK records.

If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know."

Over to you (at least I'm not going mad!)
Regards
Andy

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 March 12 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I think its worth telling them that you have found the missing records and taht they are on thegenealogist website in case they want to update their site for completeness - be interesting to see what their response to that is
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.