Author Topic: Luftwaffe - ID Photos (thread 2)  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Luftwaffe - ID Photos (thread 2)
« on: Sunday 11 March 12 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Well last photo loaded so will load another to see if you can help with naming any other men?
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Luftwaffe - ID Photos (thread 2)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 12 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Am nudging back up in the hope of someone looking at my post
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 12 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

These might be able to help;

http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/welcome.html

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 12 15:30 GMT (UK) »
nanny jan

had a look at that link - not really any help as I do not know for definate who any of the people are in the 2 photos I have loaded. 
Which I why I had hoped one of the mamy WW2 buffs on here might have had some insight into the name of the men and the pilot.

Do not even know if the pilot survived etc.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 12 15:40 GMT (UK) »

I was wondering if they could identify anyone for you;  they have a Luftwaffe section.   They even have the name and photo of the German pilot who shot down the plane my uncle was in!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 12 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Left: Werner Mölders, as stated on your other thread - but now I'm certain of it!
Right: possibly Oskar-Heinz "Heinrich Pritzl" Bär
The chap in the center appears to be a Stabsfeldwebel, senior NCO, but it's too fuzzy to be sure.
Clearer details of rank insignia on collars, shoulders & cuffs would be great, and particularly any rank insignia visible on Mölders, because then we could perhaps work out exactly where and when.

Adrian

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 07:45 GMT (UK) »
To revise my guess at the man on the right: Walter Nowotny.

Adrian

EDIT: ... or Hannes Trautloft.  :)
And the guy in the middle is perhaps Günther Fink
http://www.luftwaffe.cz/fink.html

So maybe we have Mölders in his role as Inspekteur der Jagdflieger visiting JG 54 on the Eastern Front in late-1941, shortly before his death.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 12:24 GMT (UK) »
apwright - many thanks for all those names.  Am now off to see if I can find photos online of any of those men, to compare with my photos.

Bit disappointed as I had convinced myself that the pilot was Eric Hautmann.

Still wondering where dad got these 20+ photos from.  He was never in Germany from what I can tell, but he did go to Austria after the war.  He was only in the army for a short time before the end of the war.  I think that some of these items were bought from ex-German soldiers.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Right am now back and think the people in the photo are the following:

The pilot is definately Werner Molders and the chap to his left (right of photo to us) is probably Walter Nowotny.

Just wish the plane in the photos was photographed in full, all I have are bits, such as the cockpit and the tailfin (showing the 'hits/bombs' etc.) as then I might have been able to ascertain whether or not it was his plane or not.  I know from looking the the Werner Molders page, the photo of his plane shows a slightly different style of 'hits/bombs' to those in my photos.