Author Topic: George edwards,Sarah Rowe, Cound?  (Read 4177 times)

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
George edwards,Sarah Rowe, Cound?
« on: Sunday 11 March 12 22:50 GMT (UK) »

Pre marriage, if possable, I can trace Sarah, but not George, I know that there is a birth in Uffington for George that fits, but I cant be sure? I have all the lot after, I know my line have a lot of R.C. in it, and I have seen,  Thomas in the R.C. Acton  Burnell,

I dont ask much of you fellow members, but this one I am  stuck on,  :'(

Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: George edwards,Sarah Rowe, Cound?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 March 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not a lot; perhaps something to chew over...

Source, Harley PR:
27 May 1766 George Edwards OTP & Margaret Pearce of Cressage, lic, mar.
11 July 1770 George s. of George & Margaret Edwards, Harley, bap.
5 Dec 1791 George Edwards, Harley, bur.
If this is your George he would be about 38 when he married???

Cound PR:
25 July 1803 George Edwards, Cound, bur.
12 Nov 1808 George Edwards, b., & Sarah Rowe, sp., Cound, mar.
23 April 1809 Margaret Edwards, Cound, bur.

Acton Burnell PR (RC):
There is a George and Sarah Edwards baptising children.

IGI (submitted):
1783 abt., (birth) George Edwards, Cund. Also on this record is: spouse, Sarah Rowe, b. 1787 and mar. 1808.
The Cound PR gives Sarah's birth as 21 Dec 1788

A couple of points of interest:
2 Sept 1754 John & Joseph, illegitimate children of George Edwards & Maid servant. (Doesn't say bap. or otherwise).
There was a George Edwards in the mid 18th century, curate, bur. Cound, 6 Mar 1770.

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff  :)

Much thanks for the lookup and time, Im pretty sure my George is the one baptising children in Acton burnell R/C,  I have him on the 41 census ( Cound ) 51 census ( Cound ),  51 census he said he came from Cound, I have searched the original records for Cound in the archives and there is no record of him being born there, I have a strong feeling he was born in Uffington to the couple James Edwards and Jane,  ( James keeps cropping up in my line ) There is a Marriage in St Aulkmunds 1776 James Edwards, Jane Jones, I think this couple were Georges parents,  Searching the Edwards surname round here in Shropshire is like trying to nail jelly to the wall, 

Best wishes
Pete :) :)

P.S  to any other member searching Shrewsbury via the I.G.I, there are a few parishes that are not listed, as far as I know these can only be seen in the Archvies
St Aulkmunds
St Julians
Holy Cross

Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 12 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete

Yeah, I saw the James Edwards/Jane Jones marriage at St Alkmond... though no sign of offspring, unless you go back to Uffington, via the IGI/Family Search:
IGI (Submitted record): 13 Dec 1778 Elizabeth Edwards, d. of James Edwards & Jane, Uffington, bap.
IGI (Extracted record): 21 Jan 1783 Jane Edwards d. of James Edwards & Jane, Uffington, bap. This record also stated that Jane died 26 Oct 1789.

...Though I haven't checked the PR's yet, for the reason below.

You rightly point out about the density of Edwards' in the area; must be a nightmare  ???

There is also a James and Jane Edwards in the St Leonards, Bridgnorth area, about this time.

Regards
Geoff

Offline Blondy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 April 12 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete I have just come across your posting re George and Sarah Edwards in Cound.  I am looking for the parents of Emma Edwards who is on the 1851 census living with George and Sarah and is listed as their niece.  She eventually moved to Lancashire and married by 3 x Great Grandfather, it was his second marriage.  I would be very grateful if you could shed any light on who Emma's parents were and if you have come across in Emma in your research.  I am not familiar at all with this part of the country as my ancestors are concentrated in Cheshire and Lancashire.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards Blondy

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Blondy

Hope you don't mind me coming in here...

I checked my notes from when I looked at George & Sarah's stat's before. I could never quite get my head round their birth dates, i.e. the 1851 census has George as 58y b. abt 1793, his marriage was in 1808, that would make him 15y when married. Pete's idea that he was b. in Uffington is more likely - Dec 24 1786 George s. of James & Jane Edwards of Haughmond Demesne and therefore abt 22y when he married. I mention this to try to establish his proper stat's because, Emma his niece is likely to be an offspring of one of George's siblings or at least their family. Trying to find, Emma's parents is therefore not easy with so many unconfirmed variables.

Possible male siblings of George, source, Uffington PR's:
22 Feb 1790 William s. of James & Jane Edwards, aged 10m, bur.
10 Apr 1791 John s. of same parents, bap.
24 Feb 1793 Joseph s. of same parents, bap.

I also noticed on the 1851 census there was an Ann Edwards, b. abt 1841, niece, looks likely to be Emma's sister. If this is the same Ann b. abt. 1842 Cound Moor, this may also be her:
1881 Putney, Laundress, b. Cound Moor, single.
1891 Fulham aged 59, b. Cound Moor, single.

I suspect there aren't too many Ann Edwards' in London that were born in Cound Moor, though she may also have followed Emma to Lancs.

Your wording suggests she married in Lancs., did she move especially to marry?

Regards
Geoff

Offline Blondy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff Thanks for your information on Emma.  I don't think she came up 'north' to marry as on the 1871 census she is listed as a servant and isn't married.  I can't find her on the 1861 census in Shropshire or in Lancashire so she may possibly have moved around.  I can't help thinking that if her sister and herself were living with their uncle if something had happened to their parents or were they just visiting?
Regards
Blondy

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Blondy

Yeah, difficult to determine why they were with their uncle in 1851, either of your thoughts are plausible.

There are a number of possibilities for Emma's marriage, would you have her details to hand, it may help in locating her parents (or at least one of them)?

Regards
Geoff

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 April 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Blondy :)

I often wondered what happened to Emma, Geoff is right about Ann, she started in the laundry and ended up as a Nun,  George was buried in Cound on the 28,Feb, 1859, given age as 71, Sarah his widow was buried in Cound on the 9,Sept,1868, given age 84,

I have spent many an hour in the archives trying to find out who there parents were, I still keep a look out for them in the archives ( I dont like to admit defeat :) ),

Best Wishes
Pete,