Author Topic: WOOD family (Tasmania)  (Read 14434 times)

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD family (Tasmania)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Johngirl and Cando...I have never seen my grandparents headstone and it is a pleasure to see it.  I hope to visit one day.
May's sister Florence died not long after her.  My auntie (May's daughter) said it was from a broken heart at losing her sister as they were so close.  Their brother Thomas went to Queensland, never married and died there.  My auntie is positive they were all born in Tasmania and is astounded there is no birth record.  Is it possible they were christened somewhere?  Florence, May's mother may of course have been born anywhere.

If the Eveline Wood you found belongs to a Margaret Givans/Gibbons and Thomas Wood I have been down that road. I did a lot of research on that line. I thought they were mine until my auntie told me they were not and sent me the marriage cert. May's Her birthplace on marriage cert is Sandy Bay but my auntie said she was born at Brown's River.  It seems strange to me that there were two families in North West Bay that had children of almost the same names with Thomas as the father but  I can only find coincidence and not connection.

May was also called Mavis as a nickname and never known as Julia. Will check on that notice and post it.....thanks so much everyone...

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello..the In Memoriam notice from the Mercury dated August 22 `921 reads " In sad and loving memory of our dear father and brother Thomas Wood departed this life in August 22 1919 aged 73. Sadly Missed.  Inserted by his daughters and sisters.

I know Thomas Woods  other brothers and sisters birth marriage death and other details all except Helen so there is no mystery with them.

No mention of Florence at all in the notice  Florence only seems to exist on this marriage cert stating her maiden name as Watson, there is nothing else known of her at all.  I do not know if the witnesses to the marriage are the parents Thomas and Florence or the children Thomas and Florence, so no clue if she was still alive in 1912.  I have a great pic of the three children at the wedding, if only it could speak!

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi alexandramac,

I'm thinking you might have to dust off your research into the family of Thomas WOOD and Margaret G.

Thomas Snr. died in 1890 and left a Will which mentions his daughter Minnie Louisa.  She died as Minnie Louisa DOUGLAS in 1944 and her age at death suggests that she was the unnamed female child whose birth was registered to Thomas and Mary Ann in 1857.

Minnie married Henry (Harry) Douglas in 1883 in Victoria and in 1888 their son died in Hobart:

DOUGLAS - On February 18, 1888, at 368, Elizabeth-Street, Hobart, of low fever, Henry (Joe), the youngest beloved son of H. A. and M. L. Douglas, and grandson of T. Wood, Augusta-road, aged 3 years and 3 months. The funeral will leave 368 Elizabeth-street, at 3 o'clock, THIS AFTERNOON, when friends are respectfully invited to attend. " The Lord giveth, and He taketh away."

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kut/

Cando posted this birth earlier, a son of Thomas WOOD and Margaret - he later died aged 3 weeks

Birth

WOOD William
Father Thomas  Mother Margaret GIBBINS
16 Jan 1887
At Kingston  Reg#2010/1887

WOOD - On February 5, at 368, Elizabeth-street, Hobart, after a painful illness, William, infant son of Thomas and Margaret Wood, of North-West Bay, aged 3 weeks.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kuu/

You said "but my auntie said she was born at Brown's River"

This birth was registered at Kingston:

WOOD Julia May
Father Thomas   Mother Margaret GIVAN
21 Jan 1885
At Kingston   Reg#1965/1885

Browns River was renamed Kingston in 1851.
http://www.utas.edu.au/lib/companion_to_tasmanian_history/K/Kingston.htm

Debra  :)

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dundee and everyone else...and thank you for your help...
The unamed female born in 1857 also died the same day..her death cert from Tas archives says 'died in childbirth' so that is not Minnie either.  My auntie remembered very well her "Auntie Donnie" and asked me to find where she fit into the family.  It wasn't until I also came across Minnie in the will I knew she existed and then located her daughter Donnie Rose The matching address is a mystery alright.. My aunt also said she had never heard of Minnie, that they were a close family who all lived close by.  Her memory of events is spot on and what she tells me has been borne out.

Minnie does not appear to be registered but there is time in the births for another child between 57 and 60.  All the others were reg to them why not her?

It seems unlikely that there was another mother than Mary Ann Albury.  But was there?

Dundee I would have thought that as the witness to the marriage the children would have known who their parents were but also that does not mean that they were the parents of all three does it?

I had found William's death before but not matched the addresses.

Henry (Joe) is a grandson for certain.

When I was researching it crossed my mind that Florence may have unbeknownst to them been a stepmother but I could find no death for Margaret.
 I have revisited this family time and time again ......

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 12:46 GMT (UK) »
This marriage certificate would possibly give you an accurate age for Minnie as well as parents of the bride and groom.  Victorian certificates have good information compared to the Tasmanian ones. 

WOOD Minnie Louisa born Hobart
DOUGLAS Henry Alexander Sare  Born at sea
1883  Reg#3375

Have you considered that the information on the 1912 marriage certificate could be incorrect.  Is it possible that Florence Eveline WATSON was a witness that somehow became mother of the bride?  I've seen some odd information that bore no relation to the couple who were wed on marriage certificates eg names of grandparents instead of parents etc.   Witnesses don't always read all the information before signing.

We seem to be jumping from one generation to the next and different family members...you  may know who they are but I'm becoming confused....well that happens to easily these days ;D

Family stories and information are invaluable but as already has been demonstrated, they can be inaccurate eg your aunt had never heard of Minnie Louise who died in 1944. 

Who is Aunt Donnie?

I agree with Debra you need to look at Thomas WOOD and Margaret G again.  So we have Thomas Jnr dying in 1919...who was the Mary Ann on the electoral roll with Florence Eveline?  Is it possible that Margaret was perhaps Margaret Mary Ann?  Thomas was not enrolled to vote but his death notice states he was from the same address. 

Is it possible to purchase Florence Eveline's 1936 marriage certificate?  It would detail her parents' names and her place of birth. 

Minnie does not appear to be registered but there is time in the births for another child between 57 and 60.  All the others were reg to them why not her?

All sorts of reasons for a birth not being registered including the parents forgetting to do so.  Have you searched for parish records for any baptisms?

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Who is Aunt Donnie ???

Well Aunt Donnie was the daughter of Minnie Louisa Douglas(nee Wood)

Buried with Minnie Louisa Douglas is Donnie Rose Good and another daughter Mary Janet Douglas.

http://gravesoftas.dyndns.org/gravesoftas%20new/Cornelian%20Bay%20Live/Church%20Of%20England/Images/C%20Of%20E/NN/2/Douglas%20Minnie%20Louisa.jpg

Minnie Louisa Douglas according to her burial record was aged 86 years at death and was residing at 66 Augusta Road New Town at the time of her death.

Donnie Rose Good was aged 69 years at her death and was residing at 170 Collins Street Hobart at the time of her death.

Still can`t find any trace of a Florence or Margaret Wood ???

If I get time I will check the burial records of Queenborough Cemetery to see if Thomas and Florence Wood are buried there.I will also search for a Margaret.Not always a lot of information on the burials in the index book for Queenborough.This Cemetery was also one of the main Cemetery`s near Hobart.

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 13:34 GMT (UK) »
The Mary Ann on the electoral roll may be the eldest daughter of Thomas WOOD Snr. and Mary Ann ALBURY, here is her death in 1925:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kuy/

I also think that Florence Eveline's 1936 1934 marriage cert would be a worthwhile purchase, if indeed this is the right person.

I must say that I am surprised that so many of Thomas and Mary Ann's children appear in the indexes, certainly not normal for Tasmania! Minnie's age in 1944 was 86, and if accurate, that does put her in between the infant that died and the next child in 1860.  

Baby William who died in 1887 is buried at Cornelian Bay, but no sign of Minnie's infant who died the following year (I can't even see a death reg.)

Debra  :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 13:37 GMT (UK) »
A bit of searching and she was born in South Australia the year before her parents married in Victoria.

DOUGLAS Donnie Rose
19 Sep 1882
Father Henry Alexander DOUGLAS  Mother Minnie Lousia WOOD
At Adelaide  Ade 290/205

and two more births before Minnie's marriage

DOUGLAS Charles William
Father Henry Alexander  Mother Minnie Louisa WOOD
At Richmond  1878  Reg#18332

DOUGLAS Harold Tasman Sarell
Father Henry Alexanderr  Mother Minnie Louisa UNKNOWN
At Richmond  1880  Reg#24589

and death in South Australia -
Death notice
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kv0/

DOUGLAS Harrold Tasman
30 Jul 1882  20 months  Relative Henry Alexander DOUGLAS [Father]
Residence Adelaide  Died Adelaide   Ade 228/121

Buried at West Terrace Cemetery
DOUGLAS Harold   1 Aug 1882  1 year  Last abode Adelaide
Section: Road 4 Path Number: 16 E/W: W Site#47.

Henry in court in SA in 1893 - plaintiff
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kuz/

Henry and Minnie do not appear on the electoral rolls together.  

Enough for tonight ;D

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone..I just realised now, after putting the Thomas Wood/ Margaret Givan's research aside that their daughter Eveline married a Robert Ward, had I think 3 children and lived till quite elderly.  Therefore she cannot be the same (Florence) Eveline Wood who married Harry John Mills.  I will make arrangemnts for the certs today....